What Can I Use Besides Gumpaste To Mold A Stiletto??

Decorating By Jemily Updated 16 Oct 2011 , 11:39am by robinmarie

Jemily Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 2:41am
post #1 of 12

I was just curious...I've heard of people using marzipan to mold a stiletto and from the pictures seems stable enough to stand on it's own. I really do not want to use gumpaste. I know it may sound silly but if I work so hard on the shoe I would like it to be as edible as the rest of the cake. I have to make a life size stiletto for a cake topper and I'm desperate to find anything to mold into the shoe that's not gumpaste. How do you get the marzipan to harden so it was stable enough to stand up alone? Is there anything else I can use that would be tasty, able to mold into a stiletto as well as harden. Any help will be greatly apprecated.

11 replies
QTCakes1 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 2:53am
post #2 of 12

Kitagrl Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:03am
post #3 of 12

Oh I dunno, I like the idea of gumpaste for the opposite reason...I worked so hard on it, I'd like them to be able to save it in a curio for a little while. icon_smile.gif

Jemily Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 8:41am
post #4 of 12

Yeah that's a thought too Kitagrl I never really thought about it like that. If I can't find anything that would be as stable as a gumpaste and edible I will definately keep what you said in mind. I guess I just wanted everyone who saw the cake to think "wow that cake looks nice and everything is edible!"
Again I know I sounds silly. I made a huge 3d super dinosaur cake (it was super as in the dinosaur was a superhero Lol he wore a cape and all) for my son's and that quite a task. In the end everthing on it was edible. That was kinda a task in itself.

platinumlady Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 10:50am
post #5 of 12

You can try Molding Chocolate, pastillage or add gumtex or tylose to your marzipan to allow it to get stiffer...however you're gonna need something with the drying power of gumpaste so the shoe will hold up & stay together. If you want more of an edible shoe...carve one out of cake & cover it with marzipan

robinmarie Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:10pm
post #6 of 12

I just made a life size stilleto. I did use gumpaste for the heel. If you use gumpaste it still is considered edible, but I don't see anyone chowing down on it. People will still be impressed with your shoe because its edible.

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 12

Well technically gumpaste is edible, but most people probably wouldn't eat it. icon_smile.gif

Anytime I've made a custom topper (even from fondant) the recipient has always saved it.

sillywabbitz Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 12

Here is an example of a chocolate mold.

I wonder if you could do it in such a way that you made the sole and heel out of chocolate and then if you want a strappy look or something, you could use fondant for that.

rosa369 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 12

robinmarie, I looked at your pictures and didn't see the shoe. How can the shoe stand on it's own?

Jemily, post pictures of the shoe. Good luck!!!

lexytiara Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 6:03am
post #10 of 12

Im new here but i would try modeling chocolate im using it for my sons toystory cake starting with white and adding colour to it.

LindaQ Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 8:22am
post #11 of 12

you can try rice crispie treats them cover it in fondant that might work still edible

robinmarie Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 11:39am
post #12 of 12

rosa, sorry i haven't posted pics yet, i will try sometime today. i bought a cheap pair of stilletos and had my husband disassemble the shoe, i then made a mold of the heel and used that to sculpt the heel. it took me 2 darn months to figure it out, the slope kept breaking because the heel was so high. i finally figured it out after doing 5 shoes. For the heel part I added a skewer inside the heel. Let the heel dry for a least 4-5 days, then I made the slope and attached it to the heel. make sure you have a support under the slope so it will have the natural curve, i used fondont for the support. Let that dry for a good while too. I nearly thougt I would loose my mind on this shoe, but what a great feeling when I finally had one completely finished.

I'll post pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%