Chocolate Coating

Baking By TracyGreen Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 6:44pm by jgifford

TracyGreen Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 7

How do you get the chocolate thin enough to cover cake balls smoothly? Mine is always lumpy. I would love to know how everyone else gets such shiny and smooth chocolate dipped treats. Thank you in advance for the much needed advice.

I hope this is the correct way to post a question.... I am new to this. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 7

I add Paramount crystals. Many just add a bit of veg shortening.

auntginn Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 7

Welcome to CC. The best product to thin chocolate are paramount crystals. If you are in the middle of your work and don't have time to go get some, (rofl.. like most of us ) then try using a very tiny amount of vegetable oil.

To get the shiny look, pop them back into the fridge or freezer.

LisaPeps Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 7

Leah_s, could you advise how much of the paramount crystals to add? I'm going to be using a bag of Wilton candy melts just as a fun project for me to do this weekend. TIA

jgifford Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 7

Start with about 1/2 tsp of the crystals - - you can always add more. I've found that Crisco works just as well, costs a lot less and is easier to keep on hand. Make sure you melt everything completely and keep water far, far away from it. I learned the hard way that one drop of water can ruin the entire batch. Also, use only oil-based colorings and flavorings - alcohol-based can make it lumpy as well.

TracyGreen Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 7

Ok..... so I melt the chocolate and then add the crisco and reheat? Or do I do it at the same time? Also, if I use crisco ---how much? Sorry to be so confused........ icon_razz.gif

jgifford Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 7

Not a problem - - sometimes we forget that details are our business. I'd start with about the same - 1/2 tsp - and go from there. If your chocolate is still pretty warm, just mix in the Crisco, you don't necessarily have to reheat since the Crisco melts so fast. I wouldn't add it until the chocolate is melted. Also, the chocolate will cool off quickly so watch that when you're dipping unless you use a warmer.

I've also found that putting the finished product in the freezer will harden it faster, but it also gives you a matte finish since you'll have condensation after you take it out and water of any kind is not your friend. To keep a nice shiny finish, only put it in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%