I Need Ideas To Cover Cake Boards.

Decorating By kimphipps Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 9:00pm by cathyscakes

kimphipps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimphipps Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 10

I am not a professional cake decorator but I make cakes on the side every now and then for people I know. I was just wondering what everyone uses to cover their cake boards. Im not a big fan of the silver foil and I dont make enough cakes to order the colored foil and invest a lot of money into it. I like to have colors that go with the cake so I usually just use tissue paper and then wax paper over top. This doesnt look the greatest and I would love to know if anyone has some ideas on different ways to cover the boards.

9 replies
2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 10

I am a hobby baker and do mainly grandchildren's birthday cakes. I don't like the foil for that either and I cover in wrapping paper and put clear wrap (food safe) over that.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 10

You could use fondant. I use the cheaper stuff (Wilton) to cover mine sometimes. It's trickier if you're just putting your cakes on a carboard round, but if you're using a cake drum or a thicker cake board, it works out very nicely.

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 10

I have used wrapping paper before, but it can't be a thin paper. There's a cake supply store not far from me that sells all different color foils by the sheet depending on the size board you need to cover. They keep it on rolls on the wall and just cut to size. You should check to see if anyone in your area does this.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimphipps

Im not a big fan of the silver foil and I dont make enough cakes to order the colored foil and invest a lot of money into it.

If you don't like to order colored foil, your local cake decorating supply stores will normally sell just what you need from their rolls.

Another option is to purchase colored poly foil from your local florist... you may have to buy the whole roll, but one roll at a time in the color you need isn't that expensive considering that you'll be avoiding shipping costs and you'll gradually add color selections to your collection for future use.
(remember to have your cake on its own board so the cake doesn't have prolonged contact directly on non-food safe surfaces such as florist foil.)

kimphipps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimphipps Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for all the good ideas. The closest we have to a cake store is Michaels and Walmart. All the good cake supply stores have went out of business here. I've never thought of any of these ideas. I'll try them out. Thanks again!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 10

Michael's carries great scrapbooking paper. I just glue it onto foam board - cut it to size. It's very inexpensive and they have great colors and patterns.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Michael's carries great scrapbooking paper. I just glue it onto foam board - cut it to size. It's very inexpensive and they have great colors and patterns.

I just started using scrapbook paper too. I buy foam boards at the Dollar Tree, cut the size circles I need from them using a circle drywall cutter (from Lowes or Home Depot), and hot glue two circles together. Then I glue the scrapbook paper to the top of the foam board circles and cover with clear contact paper (otherwise the butter in the frosting makes grease stains on the paper). Then I hot glue a ribbon around the edge of the boards (I think I got 3/8" wide ribbon and it fit perfectly with 2 boards together) so the cut edges don't show. Looks nice and it's cheap to do.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 10

It's not very exciting, but it does the job, and that's white Freezer Paper you find at the grocery store. I don't even put my cake on a separate round, I adhere it directly to the freezer paper -wrapped board with buttercream and start frosting and decorating. White is pretty neutral and it gives a clean appearance...plus it's also easy to clean up any errant frosting that may get on it. The shiny surface is perfect for that. I put a coordinating ribbon around the sides of the board and it looks great!
I also use it to wrap the cardboard rounds the other tiers are on so they won't get soggy from the buttercream.

I do like the look of fondant and have used that before as well.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 10

I like to use fondant also. I buy those clear stamps and stamp designs on the fondant coordinating with the design of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%