What Is Your Favorite Surface For Rolling Out Fondant?

Decorating By Claireybear1121 Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 2:31pm by chelleb1974

Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 20

I have a limited number of surfaces that are large enough in my house to roll out fondant for bigger cakes, and I usually resort to using my dining room table!! I am wondering, what is your favorite surface? I might need to invest in something, because I almost always end up with sticking problems!!!

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

19 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 20

I have a huge silicone mat...think it's the Ateco mat. Thin blue silicone about 2.5x3 ft. Love it!

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 20

I use "The Mat" and love it, but I find that after I've laid my fondant on the cake, my smoothing paddle likes to stick b/c there's no cornstarch.

Anyone have a solution?

Claireybear1121 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 20

Hmmm, I never thought of just buying a mat to put on the table!!! Sometimes the really brilliant ideas are just so painfully simple icon_smile.gif So do you ladies just roll out the fondant directly on the mat- like no PS, cornstarch, or grease, or anything?

KeLs3784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeLs3784 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 20

I'm pretty sure "The Mat" that jhay is talking about is from Sweet Wise this mat is a vinyl safe mat that is two sides and allows you to roll the fondant out without using corn starch or powdered sugar (its awesome) - I dont believe karateka is talking about the same thing. Check out youtube "sweet wise"- they have a ton of helpful videos.

jhay, i have the same exact problem- i've just been resorting to using my hands as much as i can, then i take a bit of the powdered sugar and rub the cake (very lightly) when I am ready to use the paddle.

mbyrne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbyrne Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 20

I use the crappy Wilton one. It moves and slides and sticks. I need one the will stay put and lay flat. Any ideas? I also have the same problem as jhay.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 20

I like the blue Ateco mat as well, also (and I know some will disagree) the Wilton mat is really inexpensive and works pretty well (only $9.99 plus you can find 40% coupons for AC Moore, Michael, etc.). For either, just spread a bit of shortening over the mat so the fondant doesn't stick. If it isn't rolling easily you know you need more crisco.

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 20

I use Sweetwise's "The Mat". I've also used Wilton's. I wet the bottom of the mat and the table or counter- not a lot. Just enough to make it stick.

When I need to use my paddle, I dust it well with powdered sugar.

jhay Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 20

Yes, I have the mat made by Sweet Wise. I love it all except for that and one other little issue. I love how thin I can get my fondant, I love that I can add extra if I didn't roll enough to begin with, I love how it keeps my fondant moist, but it stinks that I have to use cornstarch in order to use my paddle and get sharp edges. This is supposed to eliminate the need for that, I thought. icon_confused.gif I also seem to get more bubbles with it, especially on the top of the cake. B/c it's so tacky, I have a hard time repositioning it after I've placed it on the cake to get the bubbles out. I hate poking all kinds of holes in my fondant. Oh well, guess it just takes some more practice! icon_rolleyes.gif .

jhay Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 20

I don't usually rant like that...Sorry! LOL, that's just been bugging me lately.

Claireybear1121 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 20

You guys are so helpful, as always! Thanks icon_smile.gif

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:08am
post #12 of 20

I use freezer paper - I tape it to my work surface (either kitchen counter, more often, dining room table) and use either PS or shortening, depending on how soft or firm my MMF is. Sometimes I'll sandwich the fondant between two sheets of the freezer paper, if I feel like it. Love the freezer paper and it's great for lining the work surface during the rest of the baking and decorating process too. And it's inexpensive even from the grocery store...sorry, I have a bit of a crush on my freezer paper! icon_biggrin.gif

Mikail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikail Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:28am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingnellie

I use freezer paper - I tape it to my work surface (either kitchen counter, more often, dining room table) and use either PS or shortening, depending on how soft or firm my MMF is. Sometimes I'll sandwich the fondant between two sheets of the freezer paper, if I feel like it. Love the freezer paper and it's great for lining the work surface during the rest of the baking and decorating process too. And it's inexpensive even from the grocery store...sorry, I have a bit of a crush on my freezer paper! icon_biggrin.gif

Excuse my ignorance but what's 'freezer paper'???

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:35am
post #14 of 20

I use the stainless steel table, but before that I used my granite countertop.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:40am
post #15 of 20

I have the Ateco fondant mat - white with blue border and measurement markings. It's fiber reinforced. Others commented that the fiber reinforcement embedded in the mat would transfer a pattern to the fondant.... but I've had no problems with this. It merely stabilizes the mat and keeps it from distorting and/or stretching during the rolling process. I also use a very large aluminum rolling pin with my mat. I don't know what I'd do without either of these favorites.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 6:46am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikail

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingnellie

Excuse my ignorance but what's 'freezer paper'???

Here's a link with a photo:
http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/product.asp?prod_id=1798

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my freezer paper as well! I buy it in the 18" wide roll at WalMart for under $6. I use it for all sorts of stuff, but my favorite is to tape down a long piece on my work areas when I start a project. When I'm done, wad it up and throw it away! I will not do any chocolate work without my freezer paper! I have used it to wrap chocolate strips around my cakes (instead of acetate). I use it to cover cake boards.
Freezer paper is my friend.

I used my Wilton Roll n' Cut mat for a long, long time to roll out fondant. It's in pretty bad shape now because I've also cut fondant with that as my surface. I have purchased The Mat from Sweetwise, but haven't used it yet.

siuingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siuingme Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:08am
post #17 of 20

I'm using "The Mat" from Sweet Wise to roll my fondant and cover my cake. And using the blue Ateco mat when I'm working with small amount fondat or gumpaste while decorating. Because I live in small apartment and use my dining table (wood) as my work table. The Mat and Ateco Mat really help me and keep my table clean

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:17am
post #18 of 20

I have friends that have gone to stores that make granite counter tops, sometimes there are mis matched pieces or left overs that are the perfect size to place on the table and work on . it's great having a surface just for rolling on !

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:03pm
post #19 of 20

I use a stainless steel table.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:31pm
post #20 of 20

I have the Ateco mat (2.5x3ft) and I put down a small amount of powdered sugar on it before rolling out my fondant. The fondant seems to roll out much easier than when I used to use crisco on the mat. I also have a silicone coated metal rolling pin (from King Arthur) and love it! I would not roll out fondant without these two tools.

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%