Craft Fair Vendor Display.....health Code?

Business By dreamsville Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 2:22am by MimiFix

dreamsville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamsville Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 12

so I did this big craft show last week as a vendor. I sold a few of my cakes and 32 DOZEN cupcakes! I sold out! It was a great day.....but

I had this one other vendor come over and put a small (and polite) bug in my ear about health code violations etc. She was just basically letting me know that I may not pass if a health inspector came walking around because I Had my cupcakes out in the open (displayed VERY beautifully if I might add).

So now I'm wondering how I can continue to do this and make sure my food is safe for everyone. I had not one complaint all day but I Don't want to show up at another craft fair and have someone say something. But I don't want ot just have cupcakes in a box on a table for sale.....

do any of you do anything like this? What to do you do for a display? I would appreciate any ideas you might have!

Thanks!

11 replies
inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 12

What about displaying cupcake dummies that you use every event and have boxes ready? When I did the market a couple of times, I had to have them covered too. I had clear cupcake containers sitting on the table with extra boxes in a cooler. I think if they could have been out, they would have drawn in more. Having said that, I did sell them considering that there wasn't much foot traffic at that market.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 12

Call your local Health Dept and ask them what the rules are.
I coordinate a Holiday Bazaar for my company every year. Last year we had a vendor who was selling jerky and contacted the Health Dept directly which then put the entire function on their radar. I got a call from the Health Dept wanting to know what we were selling, etc, etc.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:12am
post #4 of 12

Our HD is anal about this issue. They are always happy to help vendors with compliance.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 12

inspiredbymom has an excellent suggestion. Fairgoers can see your beautiful cupcakes on display and simply purchase a pre-packed box. And this makes each transaction easier for you.

With so many more folks selling food at fairs and markets, Health Departments are more aware of potential problems.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 12

My local health dept is quite strict. When I do a market event, I display my cupcakes and cakes on those stainless cake stands each with a clear dome cover. You can buy them on line and they are not expensive. Your cakes should be covered and if you have to handle them (to box up etc) you should have disposable gloves.Good luck!

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 12

I've never sold at a Farmer's Market but I've bought many times from cake vendors there. They all have had a display of cupcakes or small decorated cakes for you to look at. But when I've purchased something from them they either got my cupcake/whatever from a cooler they had sitting under their stand or from a box out of a mini fridge in a truck. The only thing I've ever bought right off a table was cookies and bread. And they are always wrapped up with a lable on them.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 12

I did a farmer's market for a little while and I used an enclosed acrylic stand box) to store the cupcakes in. The customers could easily see them, but they were still covered and easy to get too (via a door in the back). The spares stayed in a big marine cooler and I just filled them as stock ran low.

FabBrunette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabBrunette Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:56am
post #9 of 12

I've done a few fairs and I've had to

a) cover them (i use acrylic domes, and have most cupcakes pre packaged)

b) the health inspector told us we CANNOT US EGG WHITES in the buttercream frostings. It was some kind of hazard. I did it anyway and lied.

dreamsville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamsville Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 12

Your info has been very helpful!!! I think I'll look in the price of acrylic cases verses the cupcake dummies. I think the cupcake dummy idea could be great if I can reuse them. Then I can make a beautiful display and not have ot worry about display cases on my table if I have everything pre boxed. Lots to think about. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 12

It's probably not a good idea to admit to lying to the health inspectors in a public forum just before you include a link to your business's web site.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 2:22am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

It's probably not a good idea to admit to lying to the health inspectors in a public forum just before you include a link to your business's web site.

Sometimes, Jason, you give too much good information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%