Cupcake Display For Craft (Type) Shows....as A Vendor?

Baking By dreamsville Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 12:35pm by HappyCake10609

dreamsville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamsville Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 6

so I did this big craft show last week as a vendor. I sold a few of my cakes and 32 DOZEN cupcakes! I sold out! It was a great day.....but

I had this one other vendor come over and put a small (and polite) bug in my ear about health code violations etc. She was just basically letting me know that I may not pass if a health inspector came walking around because I Had my cupcakes out in the open (displayed VERY beautifully if I might add).

So now I'm wondering how I can continue to do this and make sure my food is safe for everyone. I had not one complaint all day but I Don't want to show up at another craft fair and have someone say something. But I don't want ot just have cupcakes in a box on a table for sale.....

do any of you do anything like this? What to do you do for a display? I would appreciate any ideas you might have!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 6

You could buy some cupcake dummies and decorate them to have on display. I would decorate them as I do my ones to sell, i.e. if you do something specific for each flavor. These would be safe to display and then they could choose which flavor they want. I believe what the person told you was due to the fact that it is not a good idea for food to be setting out open to the air and customers. Bugs could get on them or people could touch them, not very sanitary. Have you thought even of getting the plastic display cases and setting them in one?
evelyn

dreamsville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamsville Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 6

yeah I am thinking more of doing that now. I just was hoping I could do a plastic display case but still be able to display the cupcakes in an appealing way (and not just rows like you might see in a bakery). Kind of more like what you would see if I was displaying them at a wedding or something. Just wondering if anyone else has done this....and what kind of display you may have come up with

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 6

I did a small fair recently (unfortunately there wasn't a huge turn out..) anyway, I had my cupcakes pre-packaged in the upside down clear plastic cups w/ lids... I got SO many compliments on how "cute" or "smart" my "cupcake containers" were, lol! Since they are clear, people can see the pretty cupcakes inside, and since they are packaged they are sanitary and you can stack them! My original idea was to also have a pretty display with some cupcakes (that were not for sale just for "looks") not in containers and then hand people a packaged cupcake... but I ran out of time so I just stacked the cupcakes.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:59am
post #5 of 6

I had my cupcakes pre-packaged in the upside down clear plastic cups w/ lids...

Happycakes. I love that idea. i too do craft shows and I think the upside down cups are a great idea. and people can walk away with them in their hand. I also keep some in my containers so people can take a dozen away, with out so many little cups.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllis756

I had my cupcakes pre-packaged in the upside down clear plastic cups w/ lids...

Happycakes. I love that idea. i too do craft shows and I think the upside down cups are a great idea. and people can walk away with them in their hand. I also keep some in my containers so people can take a dozen away, with out so many little cups.

I did that too! It was my first fair so I didn't know what to expect, so in addition to the individually packaged cupcakes, I had assorted 6 packs with 2 of each flavor (I had 3)... those sold very well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%