Rrrahhhhr --Need To Vent

Decorating By jamieq Updated 22 Oct 2011 , 3:19am by Apti

jamieq Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 26

I am a hobby baker, I love to make cakes, and sometimes my full time job gets to reap the rewards of a practice run. Well, most times it is super fun to see their reactions and hear the praise... icon_redface.gif C'mon?... who doesn't love that? But, NOW... it is always.. "It's Friday! Where's the damn cake?" Seriously? I wish people really had some lick of an idea how much cake actually costs, money AND time. I don't have $40-$50 every single Friday to feed the masses. Pass a hat around, i will make you a stupid cake! Until then... I shouldn't be expected to go broke making these neandrathals breakfast!! Eat some cereal! RRRAAAAHHHHRRRRR! It just irritates me to no end.
They have now come to understand it as some right to cake and assume that I am going to take time away from my family and spend my own money. GGGRRRR... NO!!

aahhhhhh.... better. thanks.

25 replies
TexasSugar Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 26

People don't think, it is as simple as that.

They are just use to a Friday cake, and aren't thinking of the cost or expense it is for you. They are looking at it as, oh she gets to practice and we get to eat cake. I don't think it's right for them to demand a cake, but you sorta trained them if you were bringing them in a lot.

Next time you bring one in, how about putting a tip jar on your desk? That's what I do when I bring sweets in. I never get enough to cover all of the costs, but I do get some. Or course I work with family and my boss doesn't care if I have a tip jar out of not. And when I don't put the jar out, some of the guys will still hand me a quarter or what not.

FullHouse Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 26

I would just plain out tell them, that while you enjoy making cakes for them sometimes, you just can't afford to do it every week. Explain that the ingredients are really expensive: "Gee, I love making cakes I wish I had an extra 8 hours and $50 so I could do it every week." I know I sure didn't realize how expensive this could be until I was doing it. Maybe even mention that if they all chip in $1-$2 it will help offset your cost and you can better afford it, when time allows.

Beckydb5 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 26

I once had a coworker ask me to bake a cake for the following day just for our office, no special occasion. I told her I would if she would provide the frosting (her hubby owns a grocery store!) She called me later on that night to tell me that she didn't have time to go get the frosting. I told her I didn't have time to make it then.
icon_biggrin.gif

bakencake Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 26

I actually just logged in to CC just to rant about something very similar. makes me feel better when other people are going through the same thing too. no, not like misery loves company but as in -this is not just happening to just me icon_mad.gif . I dont want to steal your rant but let me just give you and example. My b-day was a few months ago. My friend and I have combined our b-day parties for years. I usually make our cake. this year i made Debbie Brown's Almost Full Monty. one of my friend's friend invited me to her b-day this month, this is the same girl that showed up empty handed to the party,by the way, and told me and i quote "Haha I'm sooo excited you are coming! Everyone wants you to make a naked man cake!!!" btw a few weeks earlier the cold and unfriendly neighbor who never talks to me from across the street asked me to help her with some cookies. i said i would be here when she needs it. She told me she would stop by this weekend. i'm waiting for her the whole weekend. emails me sunday EVENING and tells me she cant make it because her son is sick but maybe next week she can drop by. I walk outside and see her son playing around. icon_confused.gif i'm really considering a redo onmy personality because all the people i talk to only talk to me because they want either free cake or help.

emccle Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 26

When my son left for college, I used baking as my "empty nest therapy". Most Monday mornings my co-workers got treated to cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc. I was also angry when I heard one co-worker ask, on a Monday morning, why there were no treats icon_mad.gif I wanted to keep baking, so I put out a bucket for Relay for Life donations (cancer fundraising). One day I saw someone help themself to a large slice of cake and put 25 cents in the bucket! No more! These people are cheap and greedy icon_sad.gif

Cakewishes Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 26

It's funny how at some point we all go through the same thing! I used to bring all sort of goodies as well whenever I wanted to try something new or had extra batter, icing, etc and made cupcakes. But then it became. . "oh when are you going to bring us some goodies?" - my answer to that now is "when you place an order with me".

FullHouse Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 26

Some may be asking for cake with a gimme attitude. But I prefer to interpret most of the "where's the cake?" comments as a compliment, just that they are saying it because love them and can't wait for more but don't necessarily feel it is owed to them.

jamieq Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 26

Yeah!! Like people are entitled to something after you just did something nice! Ungrateful poops! I officially don't get enjoyment bringing anything to work, because no one can say thank you, they can only say, "next time... White chocolate sounds good." I love the "when u place your oder with me" comment. I told them this morning when asked where the "damn" cake was, i said, "still sitting in ingredient form on the store shelf."

karateka Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 26

I almost came to blows with a co-worker not too long ago. She came in and said "Hi" then proceeded to ask me where was some cake?? I responded with the fact that I didn't have time to bake this week, whereupon she proceeded to chide me, telling me that I only work 1 day per week, I have nothing BUT time!

I told her that I may only work 1 day weekly at the hospital but I am running my own business, teaching at the dojo 4 nights per week, and have 2 teenagers, a husband, and a house to take care of, and I just didn't have time with 3 jobs, a family, and house to bake FOR FREE this week! Damn, she pissed me off. I made sure she knew it, too.

cakegrandma Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 26

I used to bake different cakes when I was just starting out and of course I took them into work. I too a LOT of cakes in and like the op states, I was asked where the cake was more than one time when I did not have one. I finally started telling them that I had a business and since all my efforts to raise business from my fellow employees was not working I decided to give them elsewhere. I still never got any business from them at all and I worked with about 30 people.

Full house wrote, Some may be asking for cake with a gimme attitude. But I prefer to interpret most of the "where's the cake?" comments as a compliment, just that they are saying it because love them and can't wait for more but don't necessarily feel it is owed to them.
Sorry but, I do not agree with this even though it is what you prefer to believe, most all of them are selfish and unwilling to donate barely a quarter to help cover costs and time. Why wouldn't they demand a cake?
evelyn

cupcakeqt72 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 26

I am a hobby baker. I am always baking and trying new flavors. I take cupcakes in to work every week or so. One day a co worker handed me $20 to help me out with expenses. I thought it was super sweet.

Cakefriendly Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 26

GIRLS DO NOT FEELBAD...EVERYONE GOES THROUGH THE SAME THING.....I STARTED BRINGING THE CAKES I MADE IN MY CLASS TO MY OFFICE..... OF COURSE EVERYBODY GOT USED TO HAVING CAKE EVERY WEEK....THEN I THOUGHT... THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BUY THE COW IF THEY CAN HAVE THE MILK FOR FREE...GET IT??? THEN I STOPPED... WELL, FINALLY GOT SOME ORDERS!!!

FullHouse Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Full house wrote, Some may be asking for cake with a gimme attitude. But I prefer to interpret most of the "where's the cake?" comments as a compliment, just that they are saying it because love them and can't wait for more but don't necessarily feel it is owed to them.
Sorry but, I do not agree with this even though it is what you prefer to believe, most all of them are selfish and unwilling to donate barely a quarter to help cover costs and time. Why wouldn't they demand a cake?
evelyn

I guess it depends where you work. I teach Wilton classes part-time I have to decorate a cake for Lesson 1 of Decorating Basics (which happens at least once a month), I also have to make a cupcakes if I'm teaching a cupcake class and bring cake for demos. 99.9% of the time I leave these cakes in the break room for the employees to enjoy. Many of them go out of their way to stop in the classroom and thank me for the cake and tell me how much they enjoyed it (granted not all of them). For me, leaving it is easy, it is something I have to do either way and I really don't want my kids eating all that cake. One of the cashier's had a birthday a few weeks ago, it was also week 1 of basics so I asked her if she'd want the cake home and if she had a favorite flavor. She got so excited, didn't have a favorite flavor but said she loves purple. All I did was make sure I used purple on the cake & write her name on it and she was beyond thrilled. She took it home to show her family, but then brought it back again to share with the other employees. She was just happy it was specifically for her. People like that make me want to give them cake every day icon_smile.gif. Some of them do ask, "where's the cake this week", they say it lightly, with a smile & hopeful attitude, not demanding. I just smile and tell them to make sure customers sign up for Basics so they can get their cake.

Jacscakes213 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:43pm
post #15 of 26

Oh how I loved this post! My full time job is in a large restaurant so I have lots of guinea pigs. I have taken in SOOOOOO many cakes, cake balls, cookies etc. Lately, if some time without treats goes by, I too get the "where's the cake" comment, , the when you place an order with me comment is what I will say next time...thanks for that! I will give them credit, they do say thank you. I have just recently been licensed as a home based baker so now that it is my profit I am giving away, I am a little slow to make free stuff anymore!!! Well that's my story.. Thanks for this topic op

TexasSugar Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 9:26pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Some of them do ask, "where's the cake this week", they say it lightly, with a smile & hopeful attitude, not demanding. I just smile and tell them to make sure customers sign up for Basics so they can get their cake.

I get that too. icon_smile.gif I usually just laugh and tell them next month if I have a class.

jamieq Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 10:37pm
post #17 of 26

I guess I could have stated that I work in a law enforcement division, so comprised mostly of hungry garbage disposal men (not pooping on men) but unless they themselves make cake... (one of our deputies is actually my mentor, and he makes beautiful!!! wedding cakes, so I will be nice) they just see it as cake. Like, they have em just sitting around at the super market, so they just come from cake heaven or something... no real hard work icon_rolleyes.gif

I appreciate even the nicest of comments in lieu of money, but the ratty comment I got today caught me off guard. It had the demanding ungratefulness of a snotty child. The BIG boss actually came up to me today to tell me he had a slice of the last cake I brought in from having extra batter and buttercream... he paid me a VERY nice compliment... so it isn't all bad. One of them had better bake me some cookies or something...!!! icon_lol.gif

Elcee Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 11:27pm
post #18 of 26

Not to rub it in or anything, but I must work with nicer people than all of you icon_lol.gif JUST KIDDING! But, really, they's always been super supportive of my hobby (they thought my finale Course 1 cake was GORGEOUS icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif ) and so appreciative of being the recipients of my practice cakes. I use my coworkers when trying out recipes, too.

One thing I've been careful about which may have been helpful...I've never established a pattern, anything I bring in is on a random schedule, never weekly and rarely on the same day of the week and I never bring anything for occasions, just when I feel like it.

mbark Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:15am
post #19 of 26

lol love this topic! my beef is I bring cake or cupcakes in and everyone helps themself but only 1 or 2 will actually say thanks. ungrateful! it definitely makes me not want to bring anything in. I'll unload my treats on family and neighbors, people who actually care & are grateful for my time & effort!

Angfastic Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 1:35am
post #20 of 26

I have been pretty lucky in this regards. I work with mostly guys and they are all appreciative when I bring in cake. I make everyone a cake for their birthday and plan showers when they have babies. When I ask what kind of cake they want for their birthday I sometimes get oh you don't have to. Some will request a specific kind and sometimes its like they are all good so whatever you want. I have had one ask if I wanted any money because they know it isn't cheap. This is the same coworker who makes me pie for my birthday icon_smile.gif.
The beer cake I just did was a surprise for my boss who turned 40. I also made a german chocolate cake because we were celebrating 2 other birthdays. I must say I work with a great group of people. Between us all we do a mean potluck. We could win a throw down with the best of them. I also love birthdays so I guess that is why I like making sure my friends have cakes icon_smile.gif.

I do know what you mean about ungrateful people though. I don't like people who expect you to do thing for them, but wouldn't lift a hand to help anyone else.

QTCakes1 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 2:30am
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeqt72

I am a hobby baker. I am always baking and trying new flavors. I take cupcakes in to work every week or so. One day a co worker handed me $20 to help me out with expenses. I thought it was super sweet.

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing, cause too often it's the other way. I always wonder what the heck is going on with people these days, but when I here this it makes me feel better, cause I know it's not everyone.

LoverOfSweets Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 2:59am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewishes

But then it became. . "oh when are you going to bring us some goodies?" - my answer to that now is "when you place an order with me".

That is fantastic! Simple, direct, and makes your point ever so nicely.

HeyWife Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:47am
post #23 of 26

I used to work for an ignorant chiropractor that would scarf up on my cake balls, never say thank you, and then asked if I could make something with dark chocolate. Told him "Sure, they are $1 each". He shut right up. At least at my current office they thank me for bringing treats. It's never expected.

MamaDear Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:04am
post #24 of 26

As a hobby baker I have experienced the same unappreciative attitude from my co-workers, but that was about 10 years ago because I stopped bringing in the cakes and making the "free" cakes for retirements and such. Its quite funny now when the "old-timers" in the office say in front of everybody else - Yeah I remember when you used to bake all the time. I just smile and say - Yeah that's when I had to practice alot, now I don't practice, I just do cakes. We have one person in the office who would always be the first one to go cut themselves a big piece of cake, as well as putting a couple of slices on a plate and "hiding it" at their desk to take home to their family...that same person has brought doughnuts to the office TWICE in the past 18 years. You will know when you get enough... unfortunately cake trolls and crumbsnatchers are everywhere.

Additionally, the holidays are coming up, if you have extra cake, freeze it. Then when the holidays come, take it out of the freezer, cube it and layer with pudding, whipped cream and some fruit depending on the flavor. We southerners call it a punchbowl cake... and it disappears during my holiday dinners!

luckylibra Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:43am
post #25 of 26

Sounds like many of us have dealt with this issue.. I too work in an office with some appreciative people and some greedy selfish people. Those are the ones that irk me.. the same ones that whine and complain if asked to donate to anything.. or just don't.. heck we recently had a coworker who lost her mom after a year of battling cancer and I sent the flowers and sent around an email requesting other donate and only two of the fifteen did.. I used to bring in cakes and homemade cinnamon rolls, cookies and all sorts of treats but after the same ones that never pitch in to anything else started expecting it and even complain... no more cake or treats to work..

Apti Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 3:19am
post #26 of 26

I hobby bake as well and do it completely random, when I feel like it. I take my cakes to neighbors, friends, fire stations, elementary school staff rooms, workplaces of my niece and her husband, and two nursing homes where the cake is donated for the staff. Yes, it costs me money, but I knew that about 6 months into this hobby that I love dearly. I figure it's cheaper than golf!

38 years ago I worked as a secretary in a hospital. I put out a candy jar and kept it filled. If I put in chocolate candy ("good" candy), the jar was empty in a day. If I put in hard candy ("bad" candy), the jar would stay filled for a week. Now mind you, I was the lowest paid person there!! Everyone knew I was the lowest paid person there. I worked with DOCTORS and other highly paid staff.

After about 7 months, I told EVERY SINGLE PERSON in my office that I enjoyed having the candy jar available, but would need $1 a week from each person. I would drive to get the candy, purchase the candy, bring in the candy, put the candy in the jar. All they had to do was contribute $1 a week.

The candy jar was discontinued a week later. I never put out candy again.

By bringing cakes into the same place on a fairly regular basis, you are putting out a candy jar. Call around your local area and see if there are any homeless shelters, convalescent homes (the 24 hour staff LOVES goodies & totally deserves them!), fire stations, police stations. If you have children, take them into the staff room of the school. If you have a large church with staff, take them there during the church office hours.

I learned long ago that people will gladly and happily take something free that is handy, but those same people will choose where & what they spend their money on. They don't care what YOU spent. If you stopped bringing cakes in tomorrow, after 2-3 weeks I will bet you that the subject of cake NEVER comes up again. (Perhaps you could try this as an experiment and report back in 3 weeks?)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%