How Do You Paint White On Dark Fondant?

Decorating By LiloCakes Updated 22 Oct 2011 , 7:35am by SRumzis

LiloCakes Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 8

I have seen so many magical cakes on this site where people paint fine white detail onto darker fondant.... how do you do it!?!? What brand/product and tools do you use? I have been stumped on this for what feels like months! Thanks!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif -Lauren

7 replies
cakeyouverymuch Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 8

If this is the effect you are looking for:

In the first video she is working on buttercream, but you could use buttercream on fondant. It would be a good deal more forgiving, as making a mistake on a buttercream surface is going to create huge problems when you try to correct it.

In my own examples, on the heart the embrooidery work is done with buttercream on a pastillage plaque, the flower on the round cake is done with royal icing. I didn't find much difference working with either one.

pieceofcaketx Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 8

I've painted on black before by making my own edible paint.
Mix white coloring together with a little bit of vodka and then add powdered sugar until it thickens up a bit, like poster paint.
Then just paint with it just like regular paint.
You can do it for other colors as well, just mix the white with the color and add the vodka and sugar.

Adding the white and sugar gives a opaque effect rather then a watercolor one like if you were to just use the color and vodka.

wrockee Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:07am
post #4 of 8

How would you make edible paint if you don't want to use alcohol like vodka?

wrockee Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:07am
post #5 of 8

grandmomof1 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:22am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrockee

Vanilla extract

hollyml Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 3:59am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrockee

You can use lemon extract or clear vanilla, but keep in mind that is also mostly alcohol. So if your concern is a religious prohibition on any alcohol or something like that, you need to thin the food coloring with plain water instead. Which won't work quite as well (it takes longer to dry and can be sticky) but it'll work.

If your concern is taste, or serving the decorated cake to kids, or something like that, don't worry about it. The alcohol evaporates and you really don't taste it.

Holly

SRumzis Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 7:35am
post #8 of 8

I mix super pearl dust with vanilla vodka to paint white onto dark fondant. Use a white petal dust if you don't want a glow to it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%