Crusting Buttercream

Baking By amithana Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 10:13pm by TexasSugar

amithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amithana Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 11:52am
post #1 of 13

I seek a Crusting Buttercream with egg white and without shortening, I want to use it instead of royal icing for monster hair

I never used Buttercrem for icing before, and would like to use it sometimes instead of Fondant , but the buttercream I use under the Fondant are to soft for it.

I cant buy shortening or Meringue Powder where I live, but pasteurize egg white

12 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 13

You don't have to use a recipe with egg white for crusting buttercream. Most icing recipes that use egg white are not crusting.

You can make a buttercream with all butter from one of these recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/buttercream-dream/

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing/

Where it says Crisco just use butter. If it seems a little soft you can add more powdered sugar.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 13

You can substitute another fat like butter for the shortening in your bc recipe. Crusting occurs because of the ratio of powdered sugar to fat.

amithana Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:07am
post #4 of 13

This is the result of my first attempt with the buttercreme, I must say, I dont like working with it, The buttercreme was in the mixer at least 15 min, and stil it was grainy. icon_sad.gif
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2183537

AnnieCahill Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 11:01am
post #5 of 13

Which recipe did you use?

amithana Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 11:35am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Which recipe did you use?

The Buttercream Dream.

I used someting call "Palmin" as shortening, it is 100 procent pure refined coconut fat.

AnnieCahill Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 13

That's probably why it was too soft. I've heard that stuff is super soft. Sorry you had such a hard time-but your cake turned out cute!

amithana Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:22am
post #8 of 13

Palmin is harder then butter, so I don't think thats why, but thanks.

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 13

It's not as stiff as regular shortening. I always use a little bit of regular vegetable shortening to make it stiffer. There is a shortening here in the US called Spectrum, and I think it's also made with palm oil. I did a Google search on here a while back and everyone was saying how soft it was. So if you used a soft shortening, plus a soft butter, that would explain the soft icing. Also if it's really hot and humid where you live, or if your kitchen or hands were hot, that could be another explanation.

Better luck next time!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:32am
post #10 of 13

if you're using powdered sugar, it WILL be grainy, it's pretty hard to avoid that. You'd need to make a european buttercream (which uses egg white) such as IMBC or SMBC to get it smooth. However, those won't crust.

If you're using a regular buttercream, as leah said it's down to the fat vs sugar ratio. If you want it to crust, add more sugar.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 13

Sorry Zespri, I use powder sugar all the time and don't have grainy buttercream.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 13

Do you just use run of the mill icing sugar? I have heard you can get 'double milled' stuff?

How long do you beat it for? I'd love to have non-gritty icing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Sorry Zespri, I use powder sugar all the time and don't have grainy buttercream.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:13pm
post #13 of 13

I'm in the US, so that may be the difference. I just use the regular powder sugar that we have, usually it says 10x on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%