Help!! Wilton Whipped Icing Mix-Is It Ok At Room Temp?

Baking By sugarmommy83 Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 3:44am by sugarmommy83

sugarmommy83 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:11am
post #1 of 7

So i am trying to make my first stacked pillow cake for my daughters baptism and as if that wasnt hard enough i wanted to try and replicate that supermarket style frosting that my husband raves about, or just something other than plain buttercream! So there i was at the store buying my supplies and as i looked up i saw a wilton box that is called "whipped icing mix!" my prayers have finally been answered! after all this time my husband has been begging me to make this icing and cant find something that will last in a cake at room temp for a day or two! so i bought it (even though i prefer to make my own filling, but just cant get this kind) thinking i would try it, I take it out of the bag at home and i sit here now and wonder if i can even use this thing!! It says to just add chilled water, but being that i am more of a cake decorator rather than a baker in my spare time i have no idea if that means it will be good in the cake! i figured if its just water it should be fine but when i read the ingredients its says there is something called "sodium caseinate (milk)" and so i dont know if something happens to make this icing not safe to keep in a cake at room temp for a couple days. Please if anyone out there has heard of this product or tried it can u PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!! The baptism is sunday and i need to start the cake tomorrow!

6 replies
patti1955 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:41am
post #2 of 7

I tried it once but it didn't taste like store buttercream to me. It was more merengue-y tasting. I put it on cupcakes which I took to a football tailgate, and as I recall, the cakes had started to absorb the icing coloring by the end of the day. I was disappointed in it all around. I don't know how well it would hold up indoors at room temperature.

patti1955 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 7

The Wilton icing guide says a cake iced with whipped icing mix can store at room temperature for 2-3 days.

sugarmommy83 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:28am
post #4 of 7

Thank u so much for your help patti1955! that really helps, i just hope if i do make it it tastes good. its only to fill the cake so im not worried about the icing colour absorbing into the cake, i just want it to be tastey. I may make a batch and see first! Thanks again!

patti1955 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:39am
post #5 of 7

You're welcome, Sugarmommy. Good luck, and blessings on your little one's baptism!

sugarmommy83 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:43am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much!

sugarmommy83 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:44am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for your well wishes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%