Advice :)

Decorating By bellaxo Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 12:20am by sberryp

bellaxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaxo Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 6

A year ago I joined Cake Central in a rather naiive state of mind. I came on the board asking for advice on making a multiple tier cake with fondant and ZERO cake experience. *gulp* haah. I soon realized the multitude of this task. Anyways I ended up making a fairly simple chocolate cake with frosting and it was great! A year later my boyfriend and I are happily expecting and I would like help make a cake with my mother in law and sister for my babyshower at the end of the month. My mother in law is a WONDERFUL and fairly experienced baker. Now that I have a year of baking experience (none with fondant) I feel like we could tackle it together. BUT my boyfriend has offered to pay for a custom cake done by an awesome local baker that makes beautiful wedding cakes. So my question is: Should my mother in law and I attempt to create a fondant cake to feed 20 people? Is fondant THAT difficult? Should we go buy premade fondant? OR should I save the hassle and pay someone to make it? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE icon_biggrin.gif sorry for how long it is!!!!

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 6

Honestly I would take your boyfriend up on his offer. If it were me I wouldn't want to deal with the stress of putting together a fondant cake for my own baby shower. But then again I made my own wedding cake.

pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 6

I just made my first baby shower cake and had so much fun making all the little things to put on the buttercream frosted cake. I made tennis shoes, rattle, teething keys & a onsie. It wasn't stressful at all. I would try to make something easy, that items can be made ahead of time to put on the cake if you plan on doing it yourself. That way it wouldn't be stressful since you can take a full week to make the toys for the cake.
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/2175994
Congrats & good luck

bellaxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaxo Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 6

Oh my god pennyemer I LOVE that cake!!! It looks beautiful!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:19am
post #5 of 6

I made my own baby shower cake and I would say take bf offer.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:20am
post #6 of 6

Here is a picture if you need ideas http://cakecentral.com//gallery/2179472

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%