Help With Cake Pops... Please

Baking By carolinagirlcakes Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 1:28am by msulli10

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 4

Okay so I watched Bakerella youtube video and mine are not coming out no where near as smooth as hers.

I feel as if my ball dough is good enough because they rolled together great and stayed together. I popped them in the freezer for 15 mins like suggested. During this time getting the melts ready. I am using Wilton candy melts and can't seem to get them as liquid as in the video. Mine is a lot stiffer and I even added a little oil to the melts. I can get the pop in there but some of them pull off. Then over half are cracking!

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Here is a pic of my batter with a little ball rolled up:

Close up of the cracks:

3 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 4

Add shortening (not oil) to the melted chocolate until it's smooth enough - you might have to keep adding shortening till you get the consistency you are looking for.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Add shortening (not oil) to the melted chocolate until it's smooth enough - you might have to keep adding shortening till you get the consistency you are looking for.

Okay did that too but was afraid to add to much. Do you need to melt it first before you add it?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:28am
post #4 of 4

I usually melt it while I'm melting the chocolate.
Just a side note - I also have trouble with the Wilton candy melts. I used Ghiradelli 60% chocolate chips (got them in the supermarket) and they melted perfectly without adding any shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%