Just Got "the Mat"... Any Words Of Wisdom Before I

Decorating By labmom Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 1:28am by milkmaid42

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

Just got "the mat" and I have watched the video as best I could with slow buffering due to my cable internet. I would like to know if there are any pros cons or helpful words before I start to cover my caken in the morning.

would appreciate anything... thanks

4 replies
jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 5

i love the mat. it rolled out my fondant so nice and smooth no porblems. the only thing i had an issue with was when applying it to the cake, the fondant wanted to pull off the mat before i had a chance to roll back the mat if you know what i mean. not sure why but that was it really. have fun.

flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 5

Love, love, love it!

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

I LOVE my mat!!!! Best purchase ever!!!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:28am
post #5 of 5

I absolutely love the mat. I've tried everything, from store bought vinyl, to more expensive fondant mats. This is the best I've seen.

A couple of things I have found to help me are: It is difficult to roll them up congruently like they came originally packaged. So I purchased a long mailing tube and roll them individually---never folding or wrinkling.

I seasoned the inside as instructed and to make sure that I always knew which side was the seasoned *inside* side, I wrote the word "inside" with a marker on that side and covered it with a smidgen of Scotch tape.
You know, it wasn't until just a few weeks ago, after months of using them, that I realized....heck! I could have seasoned EACH side and saved the bother! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

At any rate, they have made fondant so simple for me. And I can roll it much thinner, making it much more palatable. One of the hints that I really appreciate is one I used just last week when I found I was a little short of the amount I was rolling to cover a cake board. I simply plopped a ball of white into the middle and continued rolling. The fondant covered the board completely and no one knew that the underside was mulitcolored!

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%