Pricing Issues Again...

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 7:09pm by scp1127

cakelady11215 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 7

how do you price figures? (giraffe, elehpant, lion)

do you charge extra if they want 3 different flavors for one order? (order is for a 6" cake and 40-45 cupcakes)

what's an extimated delivery charge for about 3 hrs driving (total).

i always have issues with the pricing and could really use advise. i know a lot of us feel this way, but i am surely always undercharging and i'm sick of it! lol...

please help!! pleeeeeeease icon_smile.gif
thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
TexasSugar Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 7

If the cake is very plain with out the figures I consider them part of the decoration and don't charge extra for it. If the cake is very decorated before you add them, then you can charge the additional costs (for the fondant) and labor on making the figures.

I wouldn't charge extra for three different flavors, unless it was a very small amount and I'd end up with tons of left over batter. In your case I'd do the cake one flavor then 24 of the cupcakes one flavor then 24 in another flavor. (My cupcakes come in dozens, not random numbers.)

The one time I had to deliver at a pretty good distance I charged $1 a mile for the trip there and back. That is the number someone (Thinking Indy or Leah_s) suggested when I asked about it. No matter what you charge, make sure you cover the time back as well.

diane Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 7

i've wondered the same thing!! icon_confused.gif

scp1127 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 9:39am
post #4 of 7

I don't charge extra for the flavor changes. I just adjust the batters.

I don't go that distance, but if I did, it would be gas (plus wear and tear) plus at least $30.00 hour from the time I left home to the time I got back.

My basic price includes fondant or BC, plus normal decorations. Additional decorations would be by the hour.

cakelady11215 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for your help. it always makes it more difficult when you are baking for someone you know too, which is the case here. and of course, everyone is always on a budget icon_smile.gif

one more question??

when you charge for the time that the handmolded figures take...what do you charge an hour? how do you decide that? i guess it's a personal decision...but i am curious what the going rate is...lol...

thanks again!!!

auntginn Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, pricing is both a personal issue and also what the market will bare. I don't charge extra for making the figures, but I do work it into the price of the cake.

When my customers ask why the price difference or how I charge, I call if "degree of difficulty" The more time I put into a cake, the more it will cost you.

As for delivery, mileage plus gas works for me.

scp1127 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 7

I didn't answer the figure question because I don't do them. I never learned. When I do custom work within my skill level, I have to decide how long a more skilled person would take and charge accordingly. I charge about $30 to $40 for my higher end talents in baking, and I can't see why the designer should charge any less... in many cases, more.

It's one thing to simply decorate a cake that takes little time. But custom work is talent and a learned skill. It should be charged at a level that reflects the effort. From a business viewpoint, charge what you are worth on the custom. You can always suggest a lesser design that fits a customer's budget without compromising your worth. Of course, we all have to consider the economics of our area. But within those parameters, make sure you are happy with the price, not feeling like you were cheated out of time otherwise spent.

We have to remember that we went to school, learned the skill, bought the equipment, opened a business... a lot of work... besides the actual figure work. I base my rates on the long hours it took me to get to the level I am at in baking. Those dues shouldn't be forgotten in the price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%