Mini Demo Video On How To Make Realistic Leather

Decorating By Crustymuffin Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 5:57pm by Crustymuffin

Crustymuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crustymuffin Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 6

I made a Suitcase cake a few weeks back and had tons of questions on how It was made to look so realistic. Here is a link to a mini demo of that proccess. I hope you like it and find it helpfull.
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazycakesinc?feature=mhee#p/a

5 replies
Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 6

Wonderful suitcase! I love the lady eating the cake in your video icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 6

Hey Brian,

Do you suggest cutting the crocodile mat smaller.I have a 6x12 and need to do a T-Rex cake in a few weeks and want that pattern on the fondant...Will it still work if I cut it into small squares.

Crustymuffin Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 6

No. If it is bigger just stamp what you need into the fondant and cover the cake.

You can also get some fake alligator skin vinyl from a fabric shop or hobby store and use that.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 6

Hmm..I never thought of that but I may get a swatch from the fabric store...I don't know why they don't make some of these mats in soft flexible silicone...I have tried stamping the fondant and then covering the cake but I end up smoothing most of the pattern away with my hands trying to get the fondant into the grooves etc...any tips?

Crustymuffin Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 6

if your impression mat is not deep in texture, push real hard, or roll on top of it. when you wrap the cake try not to streach it too much or over work/smooth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%