Large Number 5 Cake

Decorating By Relznik Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 2:57pm by imagenthatnj

Relznik Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 10:06am
post #1 of 5

I need to do a cake shaped as a number 5.

The tin I have only does about 15 portions and they need double this.

Is there a way to do a number 5 for about 30, but with minimal wastage?

Suzanne x

4 replies
DianeLM Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 5

Bake two layers and stack them. icon_smile.gif

theresaf Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 5

I have this saved in my favorites - its the best way to cut any number, unless you want to make a double sheet cake and trace/freehand a #5 as a cutout. Either way, I would definitely do it as 2 layers. When I made a 3 for a family party, (my thomas train photo in my gallery) I actually did 3 layers and freehand made the number. Good luck! this is the way to cut any number - thanks to the person who posted it!!

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 5

Circle and two loaves. Don't cut too much inside the circle as the diagrams usually say. Make a chunky 5.

I made a #5, (had to do it with a grandmother so that she wouldn't feel left out), so I drew it in Illustrator with measurements. It's a 10" circle plus two loaves of 7.5 x 3.75 inches each.

I can save a JPG out of it. PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

imagenthatnj Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 5

Not sure if that's too much cake for you, but you can always print out the jpg and reduce the size according to it.

I just don't ever worry about servings. I'm a hobby baker and if there's cake left, it's OK.

I could also resize it for you and give you new measurements, according to the advice you get about servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%