Decorating By sweetpeacakemom Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 4:47am by BlakesCakes

sweetpeacakemom Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:31am
post #1 of 4

Just wondering what the difference is? Everything I have read says its the same thing...however, I have a customer that wants a cake topper that will require gumpaste and she doesn't like the taste of gumpaste so she is asking if I can make it out of sugarpaste...

3 replies
grandmomof1 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:52am
post #2 of 4

Sugarpaste is fondant. Gumpaste is not.

SweetDreams_DK Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:29am
post #3 of 4

And gumpaste is basically fondant with a drying agent in it (so that it will dry hard). No one eats gumpaste, do they? Why would she say she doesn't like the taste of it? I wonder if she knows what she's saying.

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:47am
post #4 of 4

Sure, people eat gum paste. It tastes like...........dry fondant.

And if the cake topper needs to be made out of gum paste, then it gets made out of gum paste. If she doesn't like it, she can NOT eat it or she can find another baker/decorator.

It's not up to the client to tell the decorator how to do the job. It's up to the decorator to tell the client how the job will be done CORRECTLY.

It's when the decorators allow the customers to dictate how things are to be made that the biggest disasters happen. And guess who gets the guilt trip when something falls apart???????????? icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%