Beating A Dead Horse? But Just A Quick Q About Ganache

Baking By GracieJean Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 1:55am by milkmaid42

GracieJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GracieJean Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:41am
post #1 of 10

Sorry sorry sorry. OK, I made white choc ganache with Hershey's chips and a 3:1 ratio. It was horrid to work with. It was like caramel.

Made semi sweet with Baker's bar 2:1 ratio and it was glorious, lol. So now I want to try the white again and have been told depending on what brand you use the ratio varies. I don't want to mess this up again.

Using Baker's white choc and heavy whipping cream what ratio have you used? Could I use 4.5:1 and then add more cream if needed? At one point would I know I needed more or what point would it be too late to add more?

I swear I won't ask more questions about ganache icon_redface.gif

9 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 1:35am
post #2 of 10

I'm sorry you've had trouble with white ganache. I routinely make it using 2 12 oz bags, (24 oz) white chocolate chips to 1 Cup, (8oz) heavy cream. It doesn't matter what brand I use, but I generally have Nestle or Hershey on hand. (I know, there are purists who say it isn't a true ganache if it isn't genuine chocolate---not white chips. Technically, they're correct.) I have never had it fail.
I streamline the procedure somewhat in that I microwave the chocolate in a large bowl, watching carefully that it doesn't burn. Then I remove the bowl and replace it with the cup of cream. Microwave until steaming then pour over the melted chocolate. I mix it with an immersion blender until smooth then set aside to cool to the "peanut butter" stage. If I don't use it at that time, I refrigerate it until needed, then warm and stir it until the desired consistency is reached. I use it so often that I almost always have it on hand.
I hope this helps you. It is too expensive to have to throw it away!

Jan

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 1:47am
post #3 of 10

Well, I'll hijack your thread and ask about white chocolate ganache as well. I was going to use it to cover cakes I'll be baking tomorrow for a baby shower and will then be covered with fondant. I've never covered a cake with ganache before, let alone white chocolate ganache. Do you whip it before using it to cover the cake, or do you just pour it over? See...I've never worked with it before either, so have questions myself. And how hard does it get? I don't want it to be like a chocolate bar...... Also, do you still crumb coat the cake before applying the ganache? Thank goodness this is for family so I can experiement....

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:16am
post #4 of 10

Here is a great tutorial on ganache: Inspiredby Michelle Blog.com

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 10

I quit using buttercream and only use ganache now to crumb coat. I whip mine before I use it. When making white, I use the nestle white premium morsels and do a 3 to 1 ratio. I have never had it turn to caramel before. Did you by chance cover it while it was still warm? If condensation gets in it - it will seize. icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:34am
post #6 of 10

I don't whip it, as such, unless you consider mixing with the immersion blender whipping. All that does is blend it to a smooth consistency. As it is still quite runny at that stage, I let it sit on the counter until it reaches the consistency of peanut butter. Sometimes that takes several hours. As I said, I often make it one day and use it the next. At that time it is too firm to apply so I zap it a little in the microwave and stir until it is once again like peanut butter. If I over-do it, I have to wait a little longer to cool again.
The thing I love about ganache is that it makes a perfect foundation for the fondant. You don't need to crumb coat and I prefer it to buttercream. After applying it I put it in the refrigerator to firm up. Then I smooth any rough areas with a knife dipped in very hot water.
Ganache doesn't get hard like a candy bar, just firm and it cuts easily with the knife. I will fill the cake with BC or whatever, but I make the dam with ganache. It is all I ever use anymore and with homemade MFF, people really like it. Like Karen said, it is all I ever use anymore.

Jan

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:50am
post #7 of 10

So...if one were to try making it with real white chocolate instead of white chips, how does that change the ratio? I think I'd like to try using the real stuff but I don't want to spend the money on premium ingredients if it's going to get ruined.

milkmaid42 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 10

I don't change the ratio when using real chocolate. It is just that I generally keep the white chips on hand so that is what I most often use. When I can afford the real chocolate, the ratio is the same.
Either way, it is delicious.

Jan

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:21am
post #9 of 10

I agree the ratio would be the same, but white chocolate isn't really chocolate, because it doesn't contain any cocoa solids.

"White chocolate" is a confection based on sugar, milk, and fat (either cocoa butter or vegetable oils) without the cocoa solids.
Chocolate is a range of products derived from cocoa (cacao), mixed with fat (i.e. cocoa butter and/or plant oils) and finely powdered sugar to produce a solid confection. (from Wikipedia)

icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:55am
post #10 of 10

Karen, I agree. I mentioned in my first post that it isn't technically real chocolate. I do use both interchangeably as my funds dictate. I agree that real chocolate is the preferred way to go, but oh well. I would prefer filet to chuck steak, too. At any rate, it is easy to make and I am sold on ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%