Transferring Iced/decorated Cake To Cake Board

Decorating By augurey Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 12:09am by smbegg

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:34am
post #1 of 7

Typically I just decorate on the cake board itself that plan on using. I haven't really reached a point where I've felt comfortable transferring to a nicely decorated cake board -- but, I'm at a point where I'd like to try.

Imagining trying to do this... I only see disaster as far as I'm concerned. But I'd like to try and learn and hopefully get the hang of it and master it.

I'm doing a foot ball cake, and considering the event, I don't want to just take the cake on a plain cake board. I would like it to be nice.

Actually, considering the event, I thought it'd be fun to have the cake board as a football field. The question is, how do I transfer an iced 12x18 cake to this cake board without disastrous results? I figured I could put the bottom boarder on once it's on the decorated board, but I just imagine my cake going to pieces even attempting this.

How does everyone else do this? Especially with a larger cake?

Is there a way I can practice this without baking a cake (for no reason)? Or am I taking a large risk by attempting to do this for the first time on a cake that is needed for something?

If my quest to do this is just absolutely insane right now (cake is for next Thursday evening; baking the Wednesday night before), what would you suggest for the cake board (that I can ice on) that would look appropriate as I just don't want to toss on a plain cake board (as I usually do for family)?

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 1:57am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by augurey

The question is, how do I transfer an iced 12x18 cake to this cake board without disastrous results? I figured I could put the bottom boarder on once it's on the decorated board, but I just imagine my cake going to pieces even attempting this.

You don't attempt to transfer an iced 12x18 cake onto another board without it being on its own 12x18 board. It can't fall to pieces as long as it's supported on its own cake board.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:13am
post #3 of 7

If you want to put your large cake on a decorative board try this. Make you football field board first. Bake your cake and flip it out onto a plain cake board. Frost and decorate on the plain board leaving out the lower boarder. Let your icing crust. Cut away the excess plain board with a box cutter CAREFFULLY!! Put some frosting in the middle of your decorative board for your cake to adhere to and then transfer your cake supported on your cut-away plain board to your awesome football field. When I make a decorative board with wrapping paper covered with contact paper I use duct tape instead of frosting to adhere the cake to the decoative board as frosting makes the cake slide on contact paper. Then pipe your bottom decorative boarder. Hope that makes sense.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:45am
post #4 of 7

Not really sure about the process you use, but I would cut a board in the size and shape that I want for the ball--if using a shaped football pan, trace the pan and cut away some extra--about 1/2"-- because of the flange on the edge. Use this shape as a template to mark on your decorative board where you want the ball to sit. I often use an edible marker to outline the shape.

After baking the cake, let it cool in the pan for 10 mins., level the cake in the pan, and then turn it out onto a rack to cool completely. When you're ready to begin working on it, put some icing on the board, put the cake back in the pan, stick the board onto the leveled "bottom" of the cake, and turn it out onto a larger board so that you can now ice it.

When the cake is iced the way you want it, place it in the fridge to firm up--maybe 15-20 mins. Have your decorative "field" board ready to go with icing, double sided tape, whatever you want for stick. Place the cake down and pipe a border.

HTH
Rae

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much for the info!

It's a relief to hear that this is how everyone else does it. Being amateur, I have always thought everyone actually placed the cake itself on the decorative board, rather than it being on a board (with same size board underneath).

I feel rather silly now, but now I definitely feel like I have no more excuses for not having a nice board.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 7

Don't feel silly, asking questions is how we learn! Can't wait to see the picture! icon_biggrin.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:09am
post #7 of 7

My best tip is to refrigerate the cake until the icing is solid. Put a board the exact size under the cake, place on a slightly larger board (atleast 1 inch around left showing.) Ice cake with, leaving off boarder. Refrigerate the cake until BC is solid. Run knife around bottom edge between the 2 boards to separate from the board. Place icing on finished board and then place cake on finished board. You can adjust spaces if needed since the icing is hard. Then finish off with the boarder. Use this for stacking cakes as well. I never transfer without the cake refrigerated or it totally messes up the frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%