Volcano Cake With "lava" Coming Out - On Demand?

Decorating By michalmari Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 11:03pm by CarolinaGirlAsh

michalmari Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 2

Has anyone ever had a request for a volcano cake which would have lava coming out "on demand" - so to speak? I have a potential new client for a large company who is asking for this kind of cake. I have never made an "interactive" cake before am thinking I would need some plywood for the base (covered fondant or RI) and then maybe some PVC pipe for the center of the cake for the "lava" to come out - secured with a metal flange? And if I can figure out the constuction, then the challenge is what to use for the lava and how to get it to come out for the client on site? Obviously I want something that will taste good as well as give the effect. They want yellow cake with chocolate buttercream.

Any ideas, thoughts or tips would be much appreciated. I need to get back to the client with a quote and advise if I can do this or not by Friday. I appreciate any help!

1 reply
CarolinaGirlAsh Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 2

I don't think it would taste that good, but you could always use the classic vinegar (dyed orange or red) and baking soda combination, or for an explosion Mentos candy and diet soda. Speaking as a science nerd, whatever you use will need to release some CO2 in order to get it to come out of the pipe volcano.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%