Shelf Stable Meringue For Shipping????

Baking By SarahB52 Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm by SarahB52

SarahB52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahB52 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 11

Ok so I am trying to figure out how to successfully ship cupcakes without resorting to baking/placing them in GLASS mason jars.

One of the recipes I want to try is called the Irish Car Bomb, it uses meringue as the frosting. However I need a meringue that will be ok at room temperature long enough to ship to the guinnea pigs (the ones who are allowing me to ship them cupcakes).

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or directions I would be forever grateful. icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:20am
post #2 of 11

If you are selling them, you must have an FDA licence. It is a federal offense without it. In their documentation, the proper handling of perishible items will be covered per their specs. This is why it costs $25 to $50 to ship this type of item. I know you mentioned guinea pigs, but without proper packaging for safety, this can become a problem.

By the way, ICB is an offensive name. Someone will bring it up. I offer that flavor. I call it Guiness Stout Chocolate Cupcakes with Jameson Ganache and Bailey's Italian Buttercream. Long name, but no one is upset.

SarahB52 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 11

It definately was not meant to be offensive I was calling it what the recipe called it. As for the tip on the FDA license thank you.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:15am
post #4 of 11

Just letting you know. I have seen the Irish get upset for good reason. They liken it to our 9/11. I used to bartend, but I think the bar crowd is more forgiving than the cake crowd. I call it my longest name for any cupcake.

For the FDA, your state Dept of Ag should have the application. It requires a separate kitchen with all of the requirements of a restaurant, such as floor drains. From there, it is a list of registrations and logs to be kept. All food must be lab analyzed and carry an FDA sanctioned label with the nutritional analysis. Each recipe cost about $150.00.

I know they will have requirements about the egg whites. You may be able to find proper packaging online. There are some tutorials on how Williams-Sonoma does it. I know that overnight and dry ice are always involved. I think most ship frozen too. On the shipping instructions, I know that these places replace the item if an act of God prevents the next day delivery. It's better to replace than to have anyone sick. Be sure with eggs that you cover your bases.

Another great place for this type of information would be the egg board.

SarahB52 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:53am
post #5 of 11

Thanks I'll look into it icon_smile.gif

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 11

Besides all the legal and FDA requirements, I can't for the life of me figure out how to ship cupcakes without them getting messed up. I use SMBC and I know it wouldn't stand up to shipping. My mind can't even get around what they would look like on arrival, much less messing around with all the Dept of Ag requirements.
It really doesn't affect me anyway, because in Michigan we can't ship, but I just don't understand how they arrive in good shape. Anyone see how these people "handle packages". That in itself is a laugh!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 11

frozen next day with dry ice

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahB52 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllis756

Besides all the legal and FDA requirements, I can't for the life of me figure out how to ship cupcakes without them getting messed up. I use SMBC and I know it wouldn't stand up to shipping. My mind can't even get around what they would look like on arrival, much less messing around with all the Dept of Ag requirements.
It really doesn't affect me anyway, because in Michigan we can't ship, but I just don't understand how they arrive in good shape. Anyone see how these people "handle packages". That in itself is a laugh!

No joke! I can't even believe all of the new laws that Michigan has put in place now (main one being the Cottage Food Law).

As for the shipping I thought that maybe using an icing that can be melted and dipping the cupcakes in making sure to reach the edges of the paper would be the best way to go about shipping cupcakes.

A major thanks goes out to imagenthatnj you saved me $90 and one huge argument with my husband because I wanted to buy some of Georgetown's cupcakes just to see how they shipped them. This goes back further yet because when I asked them via e-mail how they shipped their cupcakes they said it was a secret. Seriously I would have found out eventually any way icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 11

My goodness SarahB52, most of that money would have gone in shipping. I hope that you would have listened to your husband at the end!

They are delicious. I've tried them. I work for a magazine and the editors are always getting gifts. One morning I went to a meeting to their offices and in the kitchen there was pink box, but it had no labels or names. I grabbed a cupcake, I usually don't like any frosting besides IMBC, but this one was delicious and so was the cupcake. I don't watch much TV so I didn't know where they came from. A year later, I saw them on the internet, and it matched the photo I took with my iPhone.

I want to eat one again, but I would never pay for so much shipping!

SarahB52 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #11 of 11

Oh no he would have skinned me alive. But I am greatful to who ever took the pictures showing me how they ship them icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%