Need To Get This Effect. Any Clue? Need Your Thinking Caps!!

Decorating By aandkidz Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 4:02pm by shuswapcakes

aandkidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandkidz Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 10

I am needing to do a sheet cake with this effect on it. But am completely stumped.

What do ya'll think?

Image[/img]

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 10

Do the blue and brown then sorta sponge or brush on the white very sparingly.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 10

Or you can paint the blue and brown on and while the colors are still damp brush over it with a drap or barely damp brush. That'll pick up some of the color and leave it streaky looking.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 10

Actually I think it's done w/dusts.
Paint on highliter gold, then brush dry blue over and wipe some off w/a paper towel to get that 'antique' look.
Are yhou wanting the whole sheet to have that coloring/look? That will be tricky for sure. If its some smallish decoration then do-able.

aandkidz Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Actually I think it's done w/dusts.
Paint on highliter gold, then brush dry blue over and wipe some off w/a paper towel to get that 'antique' look.
Are yhou wanting the whole sheet to have that coloring/look? That will be tricky for sure. If its some smallish decoration then do-able.

Ok. This would be a first for me. Highliter gold? Brush dry blue? Can you break it down for me?

This is a promo cake for a business. I copied the cake from their website and its a prop they use for their product. I am hoping to replicate it as closely as possible and replicate their product too.

I am thinking I need to find a mat with that design and maybe press it into fondant....

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 10

Is it supposed to a leather book?

aandkidz Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 10

yes I think it is a leather book.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 10

I use Satin Ice chocolate fondants to do my leather or wood look. I take some of the chocolate fondants and I mixed with white fondants to get at least 2 other shades; beige, light brown and I mix red fondants with the chocolate, once I have all my colors, I rolled them into sausages, put these sausages next to each other and mix together to create a marble effect (There is a tutorial on how to do this). I mix it a little bit more than what is required for the leather look, once I achieved the look I desired I rolled it out and them I use a wire brush to distress it and make it look old, I rubbed some shortening on the surface to soften the wire scratches. I suggest you use some sort scroll press or You can get the Wiltons cake scroll I don't remember what they are called, but they are great for pressing on fondant or buttercream, you can indent the design for the middle with this and them go over with moss green and gold luster dust.
I hope this can give you some ideas,
Lomikesa

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 10

Could you use frosting sheets maybe? I did a search on the internet for distress leather patterns and I found quite a few on google images. You could pring these on frosting sheets and cut and place them on our cake. Just a thought! I've only used frosting sheets a few times but I think you can do quite a few things with them! Good luck icon_smile.gif

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 10

Could you use frosting sheets maybe? I did a search on the internet for distress leather patterns and I found quite a few on google images. You could pring these on frosting sheets and cut and place them on our cake. Just a thought! I've only used frosting sheets a few times but I think you can do quite a few things with them! Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%