Is There Any Way To Make Chocolate Ganache Silver?

Decorating By Angfastic Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 11:05pm by Angfastic

Angfastic Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a beer bucket cake and the cake is chocolate with chocolate ganache. I've only cover a cake in fondant a few times and it was years gao in class. I have a can of Duff's silver spray paint. Will this work or am I stuck covering it in fondant?

6 replies
Angfastic Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 7

I take it fondant is my only option icon_smile.gif .

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure about how the sprays would work on chocolate -- I dust chocolate with lustre dust. If you have any silver lustre dust I'd drydust the ganache. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

jolle100 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 7

I just bought a can of Duff's silver spray for a vehicle. Sooooo, I was curious and sprayed a dark chocolate candy melt. Guess what?! It's silver!

I gave it one quick coat, but it seems like it will work for you. Give it a try.

Angfastic Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys for the replies. I may have luster dust. I'll try the spray first and go from there. I'll let you know how it turn out icon_smile.gif.

Angfastic Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:10am
post #6 of 7

Just wanted to report it worked. Now if it hadn't been so late and I was thinking clearly I'd be done with my cake. I would have put the fondant top and bottom borders on before I went to town spraying the cake. Now I'm out of spray and I have ivory borders and handles icon_redface.gif . Now I have to drive in town to Michaels for more when they open. I could just leave 20 minutes early go by Michaels and finish it at the restaurant. I don't know if something goes wrong I won't be able to recover. We'll see.

Thank goodness this is the last of 4 cakes I've done since Saturday. The cake I made Tuesday for friend's bday is still in my fridge b/c they didn't come pick up icon_mad.gif . I could have spent more time on this last cake and maybe I would have gotten some sleep instead of pulling an all-nighter and wouldn't have incurred my third injury. I sliced my thumb on my agbay when I was drying the blade. (I know I should have been working from the dull side).

Excuse my complaining; I'll post a picture when I finish up.

Angfastic Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 7

Here is the final product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%