Janiepie Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:33pm
post #1 of

I usually chill cake layers after spreading BC and then cover with fondant. But, sometimes, I see bumps of soft BC under my fondant. Am I using too much BC? or not correct recipe? Help!

8 replies
mariacakestoo Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:52pm
post #2 of

You're probably not getting your icing smooth enough before putting the fondant on.

midgysquidgy Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 8:52am
post #3 of

when buttercream has firmed uo in the fridge I then either use greaseproof paper or computer papaer and use icing smoothers to smooth it down. When it is as smooth as i can get it I then apply my fondant. Also using "THE MAT" is a great help in applying the fondant and getting it smooth. If you watch the clip on you tube for "The Mat" you will see what I mean. I recently purchased it a few weeks ago and it is the best. Especially when it comes to cobering large cakes.
Hope this info helps.
Regards Leanne (Australia) icon_smile.gif

cakeseaker Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:14am
post #4 of

The best technique that has given me excellent results is from the book planet cake. They recomend to cover the cake with a very dense ganache either white or milk chocolate and them harden it in the fridge for at least an hour. The next step is to boil a jug of water and put inside a long spatula or a large palette knife, leaving it to stand in the hot water for few seconds. Hold the knife al both ends and glide it over the surface of the cake. Same with the sides. Put the cake back in the fridge for 1 hour until the ganache has hardened again. Brush water evenly and cover. With this technique the edges are sharp and clean! icon_biggrin.gif

bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:30am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariacakestoo

You're probably not getting your icing smooth enough before putting the fondant on.




Yep, once the fondant settles on your cake it will show bumps and lines if the icing isnt smooth, I use Viva paper towels and a fondant smoother after the icing crusts, then I stick in the fridge to chill prior to applying the fondant.

calicopurr Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:49am
post #6 of

What is the name of the greaseproof paper you use please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgysquidgy

when buttercream has firmed uo in the fridge I then either use greaseproof paper or computer papaer and use icing smoothers to smooth it down.


SPODN Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:15am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeseaker

The best technique that has given me excellent results is from the book planet cake. They recomend to cover the cake with a very dense ganache either white or milk chocolate and them harden it in the fridge for at least an hour. The next step is to boil a jug of water and put inside a long spatula or a large palette knife, leaving it to stand in the hot water for few seconds. Hold the knife al both ends and glide it over the surface of the cake. Same with the sides. Put the cake back in the fridge for 1 hour until the ganache has hardened again. Brush water evenly and cover. With this technique the edges are sharp and clean! icon_biggrin.gif



cakeseaker can you give me your genache recipe

RedVelvetAntoinette Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 8:27pm
post #8 of

Oh good I thought it was just be that had problems with bumps of buttercream!!!!!! I seem to have a problem with getting enough bc on my cake. I put loads on, and then with the smoothing down process, it mostly comes off. Sometimes I can even see patches of cake where there is no icing, and no matter how hard I try to get a nice even layer, it doesnt work well. How thick should buttercream be under fondant?

Shannon1129 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:47pm
post #9 of

I just make sure my dirty icing coat is mostly smooth. I do not chill my cakes at all. I dirty ice my cake, roll my fondant, and then put it on the cake. If you're buttercream isn't chilled, then you can easily smooth everything out with fondant paddles at the end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%