Filling For Gender Reveal Cupcakes?

Baking By Bridgette1129 Updated 23 Oct 2011 , 5:47am by Bridgette1129

Bridgette1129 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 18

Hi! I am making some gender reveal cupcakes next month and was wondering what the best filling would be.

If you have not seen these, google "gender reveal cupcakes". They have a gender neutral outside and then there is a filling of pink or blue to announce the baby's gender.

I have seen these be filled with colored buttercream, and jam mixed with cream cheese icing.

I am doing a vanilla cupcake with vanilla buttercream. Would a buttercream filling be over the top? What is the best filling, that would be pink or blue?

I have not filled cupcakes before so I am wondering about them making the cupcake soggy?

TIA!

17 replies
marye27 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 18

how about trying the twinkie filling

mbyrne Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 18

I don't think a filling will make them soggy as long as you only make them a day or two in advanced. You could try a SMBC / IMBC and color them with food coloring. You could also flavor them with a strawberry/raspberry/cherry jam for a girl, or blueberry jam for a boy. I think coloring the filling in a light pink or blue hue is the best, that way people "get it" when they bite into it.

FullHouse Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 18

I would definitely go with coloring either american buttercream, SMBC or Twinkie filling pink or blue. How fun!!!

kristieanna Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:18am
post #5 of 18

You could do strawberry filling for a girl and blueberry for a boy.

Bridgette1129 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:06am
post #6 of 18

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the jam/frosting combo over just buttercream but wasn't sure.

I don't really feel like buying twinkies just to get the filling out icon_confused.gif

I have whipped BC to get the same consistency before icon_smile.gif

jenng1482 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:30am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette1129



I don't really feel like buying twinkies just to get the filling out icon_confused.gif




http://cakecentral.com/recipes/cats-twinkie-filling/

CasperCakeCreations Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #8 of 18

I used white SMBC on the outside of a reveal cake and colored some light blue for the inside. It was lite and tasty...a true hit at the party.

Bridgette1129 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:16am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette1129



I don't really feel like buying twinkies just to get the filling out icon_confused.gif




http://cakecentral.com/recipes/cats-twinkie-filling/




HAHA! Sorry, I'm still new. icon_redface.gif

amaryllis756 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:09pm
post #10 of 18

I use SMBC and americolor. You could also use some LoAnns to flavor your fillings. SMBC isn't real sweet and it takes the flavors wonderfully. BUT glad to find the twinkie like filling recipe.

rlowry03 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 18

I use SMBC and it's delicious. I think it would be just fine inside and out. You could also use a white chocolate ganache filling tinted blue or pink.

LacyHogan Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:40am
post #12 of 18

I did some before and actually just colored some batter the color that was needed. This way they were not filled and no one could pull the topper stick and see before every one else. I fretted over this for days and finally came up with my solution of coloring the batter. This is a good compromise if you didn't want to fill them which i didn't.

How fun!

Bridgette1129 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:45am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyHogan

I did some before and actually just colored some batter the color that was needed. This way they were not filled and no one could pull the topper stick and see before every one else. I fretted over this for days and finally came up with my solution of coloring the batter. This is a good compromise if you didn't want to fill them which i didn't.

How fun!




That's a great idea! My friend wants a filling but I love that as an alternate idea! Thanks!

Marianna46 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:10am
post #14 of 18

Well, you could color the batter and make the filling a neutral color if you really like the idea of tinted batter (I'm a big fan of it myself).

LacyHogan Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:44am
post #15 of 18

I also want to add that I only colored the center part of the batter. I a scoop of regular batter in, then piped a little triangle of colored batter in the center and then did another scoop of regular batter on top. The regular batter then formed around my colored batter. I hope that makes sense. This way, there is no colored filling, and no one can see the colored batter by looking at the cupcakes.

Can you tell i was trying to think of a fool proof way to not have people peek? ha!

Whispur Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:56am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette1129

Hi! I am making some gender reveal cupcakes next month and was wondering what the best filling would be.

If you have not seen these, google "gender reveal cupcakes". They have a gender neutral outside and then there is a filling of pink or blue to announce the baby's gender.

I have seen these be filled with colored buttercream, and jam mixed with cream cheese icing.

I am doing a vanilla cupcake with vanilla buttercream. Would a buttercream filling be over the top? What is the best filling, that would be pink or blue?

I have not filled cupcakes before so I am wondering about them making the cupcake soggy?

TIA!




My favorite is pastry cream (creme patissiere), often just called vanilla custard or vanilla pudding. It colors easily and is delicious in cupcakes, like an eclair.

Marianna46 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:46pm
post #17 of 18

Mmmm, Whispur, what a good idea! Just remember, though, that pastry cream needs to be kept refrigerated. but I'm sitting here drooling - I think I'll be making some of these before long!

Bridgette1129 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 5:47am
post #18 of 18

Thanks, Whispur! That sounds delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%