Quoting Serving Portions For Circle Cakes

Decorating By dantedelacoix Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 4:10pm by dantedelacoix

dantedelacoix Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of making a pumpkin cake for halloween and it uses 2 x 2L / 4pint bowls to make the cakes. These are then sandwiched together to make the sphere, so in total its 4L / 8 pints.
My question is how would I go around giving an estimate of how many servings are in this cake size?
If anyone has debbie browns 50 easy party cakes book, then it is the mouse house cake inside this book that I am using, I am just taking the mice out and using a jack-o-lantern face instead (Clever right? haha)
If anyone needs further info to help me with this issue then please let me know! Thanks

3 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 4

I'm terrible at converting to metric but I look at it this way. 2 layer 6 inch round cake feeds approximately 12 people and uses 4 cups of batter (1 cake mix). So I figure 1 cup of batter is 3 servings. If you know how much batter a 6 inch round takes in liters you can do a similar conversion. I hope that's a little helpful. I bet your cake is going to be adorable.

dantedelacoix Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 4

Your post did help me actually, I have serving sizes for standard circular cakes, so i know basically its going to be 4 L of batter (less a few) so if i take 4 litres of water and see how many times it fills say an 8 inch round tin, ill get a rough idea of how many servings ill get. Obviously wont fill the tin right to the brim but at least I'll have an approximate idea. Thanks

dantedelacoix Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 4

Ok, after experimenting (with lots of water lol....) I worked it out at approx 6 x 6inch round cakes in regards to the amount of batter. After taking off a little in regards to carving that needs to be done and general room for error, I would say 65 - 70 sponge cake servings would be a fair estimate (a serving here generally being 2in x 1in)
Still welcome for anymore suggestions, but hopefully this should be a fair estimate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%