Things To Cover When Writing Out A Gift Certificate

Business By brenda549 Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 9:50pm by fl_cake_lover

brenda549 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 8

My school (I am a teacher full time) is having a silent auction. I am going to donate a gift certificate and need to cover all my bases.

I have:
*value of certificate
*subject to availability
*expiration date

What else should I include?

7 replies
jason_kraft Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 8

You should also include a unique code for each GC and coupon, that way you can keep track of them and make sure multiple people don't try to use the same GC or coupon.

CWR41 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 8

Business name/logo, and (most importantly) a PHONE NUMBER!

poohsmomma Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 8

How much notice ahead of time you need.

sillywabbitz Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 8

Number of uses . You don't want to give a $150 gift card and have them place 5 $30 orders. I would limit it to a single order. Note somewhere, not redeemable for cash which is on every gift card I get.

jules5000 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 8

Brenda549: one suggested that you did not want to get 5 orders for $30 each, and that may be correct, but you may consider the possibilty that they could do 3- $50. cakes. If you are a teacher and you are doing cakes on the side and possibly have a family on top of all that to take care of, 3-$50. orders may be easier than 1 big one. But you also may want to put an expiration date on it. Like give them no longer than 1 year to use it. or maybe 6 months. most people would have an occasion to need a cake within at least 6 months. I am not quite sure what the other lady was talking about when she said something about a code and you may well understand it, but when ever the winner of that gift certificate contacts you take their name down and if you have decided that you will allow 3 $50. orders then tell them that you will be keeping track when they have used all three times. And if you allow this then I would give them a year to use the gift certificate. I am hoping that whoever is in charge of doing the auction that they will allow each donator to state the minimum allowed bid for what they are donating. As it would not be worth it for you to donate $150 gift certificate and then not even start the bid at at least 175.00. Because they are cheapening what you are giving. I did 3 gift certificates for a church auction one time and allowed one year to use. It was done as a silent auction and each donator could state what the minmum bid was. They sold all three, but I think that I ended up only doing one cake for 3. It didn't matter to me because it was for the youth group and they got the money even if the people did not use their certificate. Best wishes.

brenda549 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone! You guys are priceless!

I covered everything mentioned here including a special code, logo, and phone number. The certificate is only for $50. I do not have to worry about having it split up across orders since I have a minimum order requirement.

Here is my fine print:

Order is subject to availability of cake artist.
Most casual orders need 2 weeks notice. Custom orders need three or more weeks notice.
Certificate is single use only.
Certificate cannot be combined with any other coupons, discounts, or promotions.
Certificate cannot be redeemed for cash.

If anyone can think of anything else, let me know!

fl_cake_lover Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 8

Add that the certificate must be presented/returned on pick up or mailed in with payment. I, like an idiot, gave a bride 15% off instead of $25 because I didn't ask to see the certificate and couldn't remember what I did for that bridal show. When I got home and realized this was a $60 error, I was so upset with myself. I threw away all of my handouts I give away at shows and printed up new ones that state my new rule.

Live, learn, and share!

Quote by @%username% on %date%