I Need Another Name For Thumbprint Cookies...any Ideas?

Baking By MerlotCook Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 12:42pm by MerlotCook

MerlotCook Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 16

I am making them for a fancy dessert table, and the name thumbprint just doesn't go with the theme! Does anybody have any other ideas? TIA!

15 replies
tesso Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 16

whats the theme. that would help us narrow down our suggestions

MerlotCook Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 16

It's for a Mary Kay award banquet- I'm doing 5 different desserts and having a label for 'thumbprint cookies' just doesn't sound right along side cannoli with lavender cream.

tesso Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 16

okay mary kay... thinking... thumbs.. fingernail polish... how about "top coat" cookies? or Polish cookies... or play off the color.. if they are filled with strawberry jam you could call them "ruby reds" or something like that.

MsGF Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 16

My recipe book calls "thumbprint cookies" Mexican Wedding Cakes. Not sure why but the name grabbed my attention and after reading the recipe, they are just cookies with a thumbprint with jam placed in the print, cooked, cooled and sprinkled with confectioners (icing) sugar.

Mexican Wedding Cakes sure sounds fancier than "Thumbprint Cookies" It grabbed my attention any way.

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 16

MerlotCook, I think you should call them by their name. They are a specific kind of cookie. Everyone knows you make them by putting your thumb through the middle. The same way biscotti are biscotti, and cannoli are cannoli.

What jam did you put in the center? Maybe when you put in the flavor, their name will sound better.

Like: Strawberry Jelly Thumbprints, or Jeweled Thumbprints (pretending the strawberry is like a ruby).

Sunshine0063 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 16

how about impression cookies, kind of the same thing your leaving an impression of your thumb. Wear Mary Kay and make an impression.

cakeguypa Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 16

I once heard them called Jelly Dainties......not sure if that helps or not?

pinky73 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 16

Butter Drops perhaps? I know these aren't a drop cookie..but they are buttery and usually very small and round-ish, like a dollop or drop of something. Good luck with the sweets table, it sounds wonderful!

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 16
Originally Posted by cakeguypa

I once heard them called Jelly Dainties......not sure if that helps or not?

That's a pretty name.

DSmo Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 16

My mom always called them snickerdoodles, but not sure how that came about. What everyone else calls a snickerdoodle is a completely different kind of cookie.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 16

LOL... yeah snickerdoodle conjures up a very different cookie than a thumbprint cookie for me.

Thumbprints are also called Polish Tea Cakes... that would be an option.

langranny Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:51pm
post #14 of 16

How about Jelly Gems?

kel58 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 16

I'm not really sure this is any better but we always called them "Thimble Cookies" as kids.
Because my grandma always has us use a thimble instead of out thumbs I would guess.

MerlotCook Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:42pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you so much for the excellent ideas! I ended up with Nanking Ruby Reds, and I found some wonderful names for other cookies I often make!

Quote by @%username% on %date%