Red Velvet Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting

Baking By vnas5 Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 2:39am by vnas5

vnas5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnas5 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:13am
post #1 of 6

I am going to be making red velvet cupcakes for a bridal shower, which are going to be the center pieces. I was wondering if I frosted them with cream cheese frosting would they be ok to sit out the whole party? Thanks in advanced!!

5 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:59am
post #2 of 6

If you are selling them, your HD has a guideline. It is always best if you quote HD guidelines to a customer. If anything did happen, you would have done your best to make sure they were safe. I never tell a customer what I would do at home. If they are just for you, use your best judgement. The room temp and time sitting out will be factors to consider. Also, some recipes call for more sugar which will buy you a little more time. If the room isn't too warm, they should be fine for an evening. Remember, if it is a paid customer, they have a tendency to leave things out longer, so a little prevention will be good.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 7:20am
post #3 of 6

I completely agree with scp1127. Better safe than sorry. Especially if you are selling your products.
I had some carrot cake batter left over from a cake order I made on Saturday. I baked a nice 8" 1 layer cake for my family. I frosted it with a cream cheese recipe from this site (can't remember which one at the moment but I'll find it if you want it), and last night we finished up the last piece. It sat on the counter for 2 days covered with a glass cake dome, and my husband and I survived to tell about it, lol! it tasted great, still moist and the frosting had no funny taste. Of course I would never tell this to a customer.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:06am
post #4 of 6

Most showers don't last longer than 4 hours usually..if that! Shoot, bakeries that sell to the public have their items in unrefrigerated display cases much longer so I don't think I'd worry about it.
They'll be fine. I use the same cream cheese based buttercream recipe that a bakery I used to work for used. Weddings, showers, you name it, they used it and so do I! It stays out and it's fine. If you're that concerned, deliver them cold and let them warm up to room temp over time.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:12am
post #5 of 6

I agree with the people above me that you should follow the HD rules if you are selling these. But when I make cupcakes for friends or family, I leave them out on the counter and so do they. No one has gotten sick from room temperature frosting.

vnas5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnas5 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:39am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! This is just for a friend. I plan on bringing them cold so they will last a little bit longer and mostly so I can be at piece of mind! Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%