Help! Fondant Covered Ice Cream Cake?!?

Decorating By thelilyofthewest Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 3:53am by Lovelyladylibra

thelilyofthewest Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:02am
post #1 of 5

Hello all! I may have a cake coming up where the client has requested an ice cream cake. I've never made an ice cream cake, although I feel I could. But I only work with fondant--I have next to no BC experience except as a filling. Can you cover an ice cream cake in fondant? What would the freezing do to it?! Thanks much for any thoughts!

4 replies
DeniseNH Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:11am
post #2 of 5

Nope. Can't cover an ice-cream cake in fondant. Why? Because fondant can't be frozen and ice-cream cakes need to be frozen. You'll end up with a pile of soup.

Sorelle Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:36am
post #3 of 5

Ive made an ice cream cake and covered it in buttercream and decorated with fondant accents. Biggest issue is keeping the ice cream cake cold enough, make sure you have your freezer turned to its lowest temperature.
The biggest problem with the fondant comes with its defrosting and becoming sticky and the condensation causing the colors to bleed. I think it probably could be covered with fondant since you have to keep it frozen just until it is cut, so their would be no defrosting. Although, I see cutting frozen fondant very difficult. I store my fondant in the freezer and it is like cutting a rock! hth

thelilyofthewest Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 5

Wow, I had no idea you could store fondant in the freezer! Yes, that was my concern, that it would be too hard to cut, dry and crumbly... And the few times I've stuck a piece of fondant in the freezer for just a few minutes to firm up before cutting, it has gotten sticky as it warmed. Bummer, I really wanted to do this cake, but it has to be ice cream. Wishing I had ANY buttercream skills...

Lovelyladylibra Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:53am
post #5 of 5

theres a few tutorials online, view them. its not as scary as it looks I swear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%