Fondant!

Decorating By Steph1217 Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 1:18am by SarahB52

Steph1217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph1217 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:52am
post #1 of 2

Ok so I have always made my own fondant. If I'm going to make cakes I'm going to learn how to make all the stuff involved! I've been doing this for about 6 months and still can't make my fondant like I want it. I took a wilton class and the teacher said she will not make her own fondant so that was no help. I have made MFF and some times it worked and some times not. Then I switched to MMF and tonight batch was flaking as I was adding PS to it. I know I didn't add to much as it was still VERY soft and sticky. What am I doing wrong??? this was the recipe that adds the candy melts for color (10oz of marshmallows, 4 oz of candy melts, 1 tbsp of water and Powdered Sugar) Every time I make any fondant it is either too sticky and sticks to the mat, or flaking. I'm going crazy icon_sad.gif

1 reply
SarahB52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahB52 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:18am
post #2 of 2

You found the same recipe that I did. And that we made several adjustments to.

Here's what we have figured out tonight in making it:
1)After melting the candy melts add your water (we've been adding close to 1/4 cup of water) and extra color right to it.
2)Make sure that your marshmallows are good and hot (use crisco to wipe down the inside of the bowl and spoon so it wont stick to everything)
3)Mix together thoroughly but quickly
4)You wont ever use all of the powdered sugar. This is dependent on a lot of this like the weather outside, how dry/humid it is in your house.
5)Coat your hands in shortening while kneading it. (re-apply as needed, when your hands get sticky)

I really hope this helps I was flustered when I made this the first time and it was dry and flaky and really stiff. If you need more help let me know I would be more than willing to help out icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%