Gel Color

Decorating By SarahB52 Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 3:52pm by Kiddiekakes

SarahB52 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 8

I am new to the forum and realitivly new to the wonderful world of cake. I have some Wilton brand red gel color that has turned kind of thick and goopy. More so than it was when I first purchased it. Is this because it's old or did something happen to it?

7 replies
rlowry03 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 8

All of my wilton colors have always been pretty goopy. They aren't ever smooth, but there will be watery parts and some thicker clumps. It still works fine though.

cakegrandma Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 8

If this happens with gel colors you can squeeze a few drops of glycerine into it and stir. Keep doing this until the consistency it should be. This happens after being opened and not used for a time.

SarahB52 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:02am
post #4 of 8

Thanks everyone! Does the Americolor squeeze gel do the same thing?

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #5 of 8
Originally Posted by SarahB52

Thanks everyone! Does the Americolor squeeze gel do the same thing?

I've never had my Americolors go off the way the Wilton pots can. I think it's because the Americolors get less air exposure being in the squeeze bottles. I've had some for a long time and I've never had to rejuvinate them.

Sorelle Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:16am
post #6 of 8

Wiltons colors are kinda thick and goopy, when they get old they get sticky. (and yes new jars can be old) Americolor is the great because like Blakescakes said they are more protected from the air, cant believe Wilton hasn't figured this out. I use a little vodka in my "no taste red" when it gets sticky shake it well and let it sit a while. No taste is the only color I buy in Wilton because Americolor has great prices on ebay.hth

SarahB52 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 8

Awesome thanks for that piece of information. I think after my Wilton colors are gone I'll switch to Americolor. icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 8

The wilton colors will immediatley start to harden when it come into contact with any grease..So...if you happen to get some icing in the pot when you dip the will begin to harden..Glycerin helps...But I use Americolor so I ditched my Wilton's years ago....LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%