Suggestions For First Big Cake Idea

Decorating By c3uCorrado Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 2:20pm by pieceofcaketx

c3uCorrado Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 5

So my dear boyfriend is turning 45 in December and I think he deserves an amazing cake. He owns a Volkswagen repair shop and VWs have been his life since 1985. So I am thinking a cake in the shape of his beloved show car would be an amazing idea. He always talks fondly about how his friend, Laura, had a cake made with a picture of his car on it. This was far before my time with him, but I imagine it was probably a saccharine grocery store cake. He is also the type where his former spouse and sometimes his own kids overlook his birthday. So altogether, he has not had a good history with his birthdays, so a grocery store cake had to have been a big deal.

So his show car is a 1992 Volkswagen Corrado in Flash Red. I know already that wanting to do a red cake will be difficult. Here are my tentative plans:
Carrot Cake (he loves carrot cake, but if it is hard to work with I'm willing to change)
Cream cheese frosting filling
Red Buttercream
Black and Silver gum paste for the details.

I've enlisted my friend to help me, both of us have a relatively good history in the culinary world. She usually caters her office parties and I am a personal chef for a family (I made Thanksgiving dinner for 40+ people last year, but I get nervous about a cake icon_biggrin.gif ).

I've read the posts about making red frosting and I am already looking into ordering Americolor for tinting.
Here are my main concerns:
Is the yellow, orange, then red the best way to go to try and make red frosting? Or should I tint it pink first then red?

Am I better off buying a 3D cake mold or carving by hand?

Any ideas to make it look more interesting than just a car on a plate?

And I ask for any helpful advice as I start to plan this super awesome cake for my super awesome boyfriend.

4 replies
cupadeecakes Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 5

You have some time, so I would recommend getting Mike McCarey's Cakenology DVD - Car Cakes. He really does walk you through the process of carving a custom car cake. You use blueprints (found at www.the-blueprints.com) to cut the cake to scale. You could totally make it red, just use fondant to cover the cake!

Whatever you make, your boyfriend will appreciate the time and effort you put into it and he will love the cake!

SarahB52 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

You have some time, so I would recommend getting Mike McCarey's Cakenology DVD - Car Cakes. He really does walk you through the process of carving a custom car cake. You use blueprints (found at www.the-blueprints.com) to cut the cake to scale. You could totally make it red, just use fondant to cover the cake!

Whatever you make, your boyfriend will appreciate the time and effort you put into it and he will love the cake!

Ok for the Red Fondant use the recipe and steps from this website. Make sure that you read BOTH posts because she has two different ways on how to make red fondant.

Here it is:http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html
AND http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html
* you may need more color and water.
I hope that helps icon_smile.gif

cupadeecakes Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 5

Personally, I would get a small container of Elite by Fondx in Candy Apple Red. I have heard great things about homemade fondant, but I have never been satisfied with the versions I have made.

pieceofcaketx Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 5

For red I just make it a few days in advance and let it rest, the color develops and deepens over time, so you won't need to use a horrendous amount of food coloring to color it.

As far as the carrot cake goes you can use it and carve it, just grate your carrots on the small side of the grater. With the smaller carrots the cake is a bit more dense and easier to carve with out falling apart.

Instead of just putting the cake on a plate make a cake board out of some foam core, cover it in fondant and decorate the board to look like a road, then once the cake is complete set it on the board and it will look like it is "driving".

Good luck and it sounds like a great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%