What Size Cake Pan Is This?

Decorating By augurey Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 9:14pm by augurey

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 4

I was inspired by this cake to do a senior football night cake however I'm not sure what size the base is.

Would anyone be able to advise the size that it appears to be?

Link to the cake in question:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1158667

Also, for the cake board underneath the football, would you just carve the football shape out of a cake board? I'm not sure what else I could do -- what is recommended for cutting the shape neatly? Box cutter? Scissors? Etc?

TIA!

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 4

I'd estimate it to be a half sheet. And scissors will cut the board under the football (Wilton pan) just fine for this.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 4

Judging from the top border (it is about 7 x 11 scrolls wide and I figure the scrolls are about 1.5 inches long) I think it is a 12x18 inch sheet pan.

I think you would have to hand cut the board under the football but, for the football itself, you could just have a round cake (don't cut off the dome) with an 2 inch wide strip cut from the middle, then push both of the cut sides together and it would make an oval football shape, makes for less carving.

Really you could make it as big or small as you want to depending on how many folks there are to feed and what pans you have on hand. I imagine they used the sheet cake underneath so that it would feed enough.

Hope that helps, happy caking!

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 4

leah_s, thanks! I do have the Wilton football pan, so I'll use scissors. Do you generally cut the board so there's no board coming out from under the cake, or do you leave a small amount around the cake?

MamaDear, thanks! I thought it might be 12x18, but I really wasn't 100% sure, and as my scaling is always off (still trying to work on that), I figured I'd rather ask. As for the round cake, that'd make me nervous to do lol I'm just worried about doing the 12x18 as I've never done anything that large. I just totally envision it falling apart on me.

Again, thanks for the info icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%