Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By mamajared Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 7:46pm by mamajared

mamajared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajared Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 7

I have done about 5 cakes with marshmallow fondant.
I can't get it to come out perfect thumbsdown.gif One time i forgot to sift the confectioners sugar.. another time it came out too thin.. another time it wouldn't roll out to get it thin enough to cover the cake. I am pretty new at this.

Which marshmallow fondant recipes have you guys used and came out the best?

How many days ahead of time should i make it?

What if i want to use MMF to make figurines? what can I add to it to make it harden? and how much?

thanks icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 7

mamajared, Welcome to CC. at least you've come to the right place to get lots of help and new ideas.

I only use fondant which we make not store bought because I don't like the taste. But if you have bought fondant you will notice that the premade fondant has a grease like quality. That being said mmf has no added grease. So I am very very generous with the vegetable shortening. I end up using about 1/2c while preparing my fondant.

I really don't do alot of exact measuring so my fondant may or may not come out exactly the same each time, but knowing what to do to strengten things out helps.

My recipe which I took from this site is this.

1 bag (I believe is 16ozs) white marshmellows - About 2lbs powdered sugar (use 10x's whenever possible) 1/2c melted white chocolate - veg. shortening - water - flavoring optional.

Generously grease 2 bowls. 1 to melt the marshmellows the other to do the mixing. place mm's in bowl and sprinkle with water, place in microwave and heat til melted. Using a wooden spoon that has been greased, stir the melted mm's, add in the melted white chocolate and any flavoring you want. Also if you are going to color your fondant, this is the best time to add any color.

Pour this mixture over the ps, stir a bit to mix as much as possible, then turn onto a floured (with ps) area and kneed until done. The mixture will be soft because everything is warm, I try to do mine over night to let it cure.

If it is too soft after about 6-8 hours, try adding either more ps or a little cornstarch. If it is too dry add veg shortening.

To use any fondant to make flowers I use a mixture of tylose and cornstarch, equal parts. They will work like gumpaste but are not as fragile.

Sorry to make this so long - hth

smurffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smurffy Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 7

I never sift my powdered sugar when making MMF and I have never had a problem. If I am having trouble rolling it out I put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or less, based on the size, and that seems to help.

Tylose powder added to fondant will stiffen it so you can make figures.

My marshmallow fondant recipe is:

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows
2 to 5 tablespoons water
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a double boiler.

Once the marshmallow are completely melted I add 1 cup powdered sugar.

Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY (palms, backs, and in between fingers), then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle.

Add more powdered sugar and knead like bread dough. Re-grease your hands as necessary . And keep adding powdered sugar. I usually add it in 1 cup increments, it make less mess that way.

I keep adding powdered sugar until the mixture can't take anymore. Sometime it takes the whole 2 lbs, other times I only use 1 lbs. It really depends on the weather and how long the marshmallows have been open. The "older" the marshmallows are, the less powdered sugar they take.

If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time and then knead it in).

It is best if you can let it sit, double wrapped, overnight (but you can use it right away if there are no tiny bits of dry powdered sugar). If you do see them, you will need to knead and maybe add a few more drops of water.

Prepare the fondant icing for storing by coating it with a good layer of Crisco shortening, wrap in a plastic-type wrap product and then put it in a re-sealable or Ziploc bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.

mamajared Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

mamajared, Welcome to CC. at least you've come to the right place to get lots of help and new ideas.

I only use fondant which we make not store bought because I don't like the taste. But if you have bought fondant you will notice that the premade fondant has a grease like quality. That being said mmf has no added grease. So I am very very generous with the vegetable shortening. I end up using about 1/2c while preparing my fondant.

I really don't do alot of exact measuring so my fondant may or may not come out exactly the same each time, but knowing what to do to strengten things out helps.

My recipe which I took from this site is this.

1 bag (I believe is 16ozs) white marshmellows - About 2lbs powdered sugar (use 10x's whenever possible) 1/2c melted white chocolate - veg. shortening - water - flavoring optional.

Generously grease 2 bowls. 1 to melt the marshmellows the other to do the mixing. place mm's in bowl and sprinkle with water, place in microwave and heat til melted. Using a wooden spoon that has been greased, stir the melted mm's, add in the melted white chocolate and any flavoring you want. Also if you are going to color your fondant, this is the best time to add any color.

Pour this mixture over the ps, stir a bit to mix as much as possible, then turn onto a floured (with ps) area and kneed until done. The mixture will be soft because everything is warm, I try to do mine over night to let it cure.

If it is too soft after about 6-8 hours, try adding either more ps or a little cornstarch. If it is too dry add veg shortening.

To use any fondant to make flowers I use a mixture of tylose and cornstarch, equal parts. They will work like gumpaste but are not as fragile.

Sorry to make this so long - hth

Thanks for the welcome icon_smile.gif
about how much tylose and cornstarch do you add?
thanks for the info!

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 7

I use the same recipe (MM, PW, H2O & Shortening). However after the MM's are melted I dump them into my mixer bowl (6 Quart) dump in about 1/2 the PS and insert the dough hook. I let it mix (scraping down sides) and gradually add almost all the rest of the PS. Then I let is mix on speed 2 for about three or four minutes. Then I dump it out on the counter and knead just a minute or two, frequently greasing my hands with shortening until it is smooth. Then I grease it generously, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in a zip top bag and leave it on the counter for a day or two or at least overnight. You do need to knead it well just before using however. I warm small chunks in the microwave and knead each one smooth and them knead them all together. Always turns out great. I think the secret is kneading it really well just before you use it.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 7

What I do with the tylose and cornstarch is place a scoopful of each on a plate and with each piece I am making I roll it in the mixture first then knead it into the fondant. ie., making a rose, each small piece I am going to roll out for petals, leaves and so on.

mamajared Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 7

thanks everyone thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%