Coloring White Chocolate

Baking By KuyaRomeo Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 6:26pm by LisaPeps

KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 7

I have finally mastered the art of Cake Pops (meaning they stay on the sticks now lol). I have the cake ball process, and dipping down to a science and end up with nice smooth dipped cake pops.

Now, I want to move on to colors, but I have read many articles about white chocolate seizing when adding colors and or flavors to it.

I know that Wilton, and some other companies sell those "melts" but yuck . I have very sensitive taste palate, and I find them to be just awful and waxy. I won't sell what I won't eat myself.

I have been using the Ghiradelli blocks and melting them down. They work very well for pops, and they temper easily enough. They cost a bit more, but my customers are worth it icon_smile.gif. It taste so much better than other melts I have tasted.

In dealing with the Ghiradelli White chocolate, what is the best way to add coloring to it for cake pops? I am ok with only having chocolate and white colors, but it would be nice to add some colors, if it's possible without seizing.

thanks

6 replies
GeminiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiCake Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 7

You have to use "candy coloring" made of oil in order to color. The food colorings have water in them, which causes the chocolate to seize.

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 7

you can also use powdered food colors, that is what I normally use when I am using modeling chocolate.

KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you GeminiCake and CatBoss, I will look into both of those!!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 7

You can also add flo-coat to your paste colors to use in chocolate

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

You can also add flo-coat to your paste colors to use in chocolate

What is flo-coat?? and were would i find it??
Kat

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 7

I wouldn't recommend flo-coat, I used it to colour dark brown merckens black and it made the chocolate a lot thicker, you wouldn't be able to dip cake pops in it. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or whether it was because I was using candy melts??

Whenever I colour chocolate I use powder colour, works perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%