Crummy, Cracking Fondant!! Help!!!!

Decorating By jenabbott00 Updated 1 Feb 2014 , 11:20am by cakebaby2

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 12

So I am trying to make a baby shower cake and for some reason this batch of fondant is crumbly. I microwaved it for a bit and knead my color into it. Then I roll it and it starts cracking and tearing then I lift it to put it on the cake and it just gets holes everywhere!!! I have no idea what is going on with it. I'm going to scrap it start a new batch and hope it works out. I have peeled it off and tossed it 3 different times. icon_cry.gif

11 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 12

Too much food colouring can cause this problem. If you are making the fondant add the colouring to the liquids. You can also save the crumbly fondant by adding fresh fondant to it.

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 12

That is what happens to me every time I try to make my own fondant!! I don't know what it is, but lately I have made 2 batches of fondant for every cake I make and throw both of them away before using the pre made stuff!!

Sorry I know I am no help, but I thought I would let you know you are not the only one!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 12

What fondant recipe are you using? Maybe you need to make some adjustments or try a new one?

Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 12

I agree that the food coloring can cause this! I call it "gritty" fondant, and it's totally useless icon_sad.gif Some fresh fondant mixed in can help correct the problem, and if it's a MMF recipe I've also had luck with simply melting some more marshmallows with a tiny bit of water and then mixing that directly into the cracking stuff, adding PS as needed. I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

jenabbott00 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 12

I am using the Wilton MMF recipe. I used it not long ago and it was fine and then this last batch was horrible. I'm not sure what the problem is with it. I am going to try a new batch now and see. I'm crossing my fingers.

jenabbott00 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 12

I am using the Wilton MMF recipe. I used it not long ago and it was fine and then this last batch was horrible. I'm not sure what the problem is with it. I am going to try a new batch now and see. I'm crossing my fingers.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 12

I routinely keep bits of left over colored MMF for long periods of time so it is on hand for small projects here and there. It tastes fine but it just gets crumbly and sometimes a bit oily. I have found that if I add a small amount of glucose and then knead it well that within minutes it smooths right out and becomes soft and pliable again. If that does not work add a bit more glucose and a few drops of water and knead it. It might become really sticky at first but just add a bit of powdered sugar to your board and hands and keep kneading. Eventually it works its way in and normalized. This always works for me.

jenabbott00 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:13am
post #9 of 12

Thanks a lot!!!! I will be picking up some glucose to keep on hand. The batch I made today turned out much better. I did add the color to my melted marshmallow instead of kneading it in. I have another fairly big caked for this weekend and I think I will make smaller batches with the different colors rather than all white and adding color after.

ghana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghana Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:46am
post #10 of 12

I find that sifting the powdered sugar first before measuring is key. Also, always use less icing sugar than the recipe calls for because adding more while kneading and rolling etc will cause it to crumble. I used to cry literally because of this same problem. I stop adding IC just when the fondant is still sticky and stretchy and then as i continue to knead or roll it out I add more in tiny sprinkles. Teensy tiny amounts of shortening at a time helps too. I now pride myself in being able to make a good batch of fondant HTH.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:03am
post #11 of 12

I agree that adding glucose can add some "stretch" to dry and cracking fondant. I have also found that adding a very small amount of shortening will help to hold that moisture in. Both additives require trial and error testing to see what will work the best.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 11:20am
post #12 of 12

Great tip about the icing sugar. I was given an unopened batch of sugarpaste and its way greasier than my homemade one and doesn't dry well. I was a bit scared to keep adding more sugar in case I ruined the whole thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%