How In Advance Can I Make Cake Pops?

Baking By linda2006 Updated 12 May 2014 , 4:07pm by pink40

linda2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2006 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 4:34am
post #1 of 13

hi cake expertise,
I have to make 360 cake pops for a friend wedding. How in advance can i make them? how long can they be store in the fridge or freezer for?
HELP!!!!

thank you

12 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 13

I make mine about a week in advance..They are very time consuming..Once they are coated they will keep refridgerated for at least a week or two.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 13

Kiddiekakes do you have problems with them "sweating" when you pull the out of the fridge to sit out at parties?

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 13

Id love to know the answer too. Ive had a problem with sweating... but then again it was the middle of summer not fall...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 13

I did in the summer time but now that it is fall and cooler I don't....Make sure if you freeze them before you dip them you let them come to room temp or cold as if frozen they will crack.These have to be done in advance because they are so time consuming...I can't see why you couldn't freeze them also after dipped and set...unless you live in an area with high humidity..otherwise they will sweat.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks it looks like I will start mine tomorrow so that I have a few dozen ready for this weekend. Do you have a great recipe that you use? I have tried them in the past and then never really held together, tasted great but did not hold shape. I have a few frozen doctored cakes in the freezer I want to use so do you just add tub frosting? Thanks for any help.

I am in Virginia and right now we have cool night and semi-warm days... so lets hope sweating is not an issue, lol.

CakePoppett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePoppett Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 13

You can definitely use frozen cake or cake crumbs from the freezer. In my family, everyone has their own favorite, so I always keep a number of bags of crumbs of different flavors in my freezer so that I don't have to make 48 of the same flavor at once! Each time I bake a cake for pops, I split it down, weight out into equal portions of 2, 3 or 4, and freeze what I don't need for another time.

The crumbs defrost easily and can then be mixed with the frosting of your choice.

I have noticed that it depends a great deal on the moistness of your cake as to how much frosting you want to include. For example, previously I had a red velvet cake that was so moist it only required a couple of tablespoons of the frosting to form the "dough" to be rolled into cake balls. Whereas before I've had to use most of a store-bought tub of frosting to get the same dough consistency when the crumbs were much drier.

I have stored cake pops in the fridge and frozen fully dipped and decorated pops in the past and encountered the "sweating" problem as they defrosted or cooled. Where the cake pops were frozen, the condensation then made the cake pop tacky to the touch. As Kiddiekakes rightly said, it makes a difference if you live in a hotter area (I'm in Los Angeles) where your cake pop warms up more quickly. So maybe move them from the fridge into a cooler room first.

You can store cake pops at room temperature happily for a week or so.

Hope this helps!

I've been keeping experimenting and logging my progress with all kinds of cake pop recipes on my blog at www.cakepoprecipes.org if you'd be interested.

Best of luck!

icon_biggrin.gif

linda2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2006 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 2:17am
post #8 of 13

so if i put the cake pops that have been already dipped in the freezer can it be store in the freezer longer then 2 weeks ?

normam1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
normam1986 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 13

why do my cake pops sweat ?

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 12:19am
post #10 of 13

Cake pops sweat if they are frozen after they are prepared.  Not to fear, though, the sweat evaporates once they have been at room temperature for about 15 minutes.  

croke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
croke Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 11:00am
post #11 of 13

AHas anyone ever cheated and used donut holes or tim bits for cake pops?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 2:28pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by croke 

Has anyone ever cheated and used donut holes or tim bits for cake pops?

:-t  Why would you do that? This is a rhetorical statement. No answer necessary. ;-D

pink40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pink40 Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 13

AThanks for the link

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%