Cake Flavour Ideas Using Coffee?

Decorating By wernie Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 10:17pm by wernie

wernie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wernie Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:50am
post #1 of 12

Hi all - I need to make cakes using coffee concentrate and was looking for some ideas. I've got:

chocolate cake with coffee buttercream
coconut-coffee cake with chocolate buttercream or with coffee buttercream
gluten-free chocolate cake with coffee buttercream

Thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:35am
post #2 of 12

I'd steal some ideas from Starbucks...
cinnamon dolce latte (spice cake with coffee buttercream?)
caramel macchiato (white cake with caramel filling and coffee buttercream?)
salted caramel mocha (chocolate cake, salted-caramel filling, coffee buttercream?)
pumpkin spice latte
hazelnut latte

Well...you get the idea. icon_rolleyes.gif

wernie Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:28am
post #3 of 12

Oh yes, good ideas there!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

wernie Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:32am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDreams_DK

salted caramel mocha (chocolate cake, salted-caramel filling, coffee buttercream?)
pumpkin spice latte
hazelnut latte

Oh yes, good ideas there!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

wernie Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:33am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDreams_DK

pumpkin spice latte
hazelnut latte

Oh yeah those are good ideas!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:12am
post #6 of 12

I've made a coffee flavored cake. I add instant espresso granules to the liquid in my cake. Frost it with vanilla or chocolate buttercream. Had one client who is absolutely gaga over this cake.

wernie Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:28am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I've made a coffee flavored cake. I add instant espresso granules to the liquid in my cake. Frost it with vanilla or chocolate buttercream. Had one client who is absolutely gaga over this cake.

Mmm that sounds good too icon_smile.gif So do you just use a typical white cake recipe adding the granules to the liquid? If I do that I thought I could just use my white cake recipe and use the coffee concentrate in place of some liquid...

vnas5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnas5 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:40am
post #8 of 12

I recently did a chocolate cake with a coffee SMBC. I used this recipe and just added instant expresso until I felt the taste was strong enough. Everyone loved it!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations/

SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 12

Speaking of Starbucks pumpkin spice latte...check out this post for cupcakes (with info about where to get the recipe): http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2178091

ButRCream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButRCream Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 12

Also, look on Sweetapolita's blog - she's got quite a few yummy recipes using coffee or espresso - even a vanilla one icon_smile.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernie

Quote:

Mmm that sounds good too icon_smile.gif So do you just use a typical white cake recipe adding the granules to the liquid? If I do that I thought I could just use my white cake recipe and use the coffee concentrate in place of some liquid...

Sorry so long in replying...still haven't been able to get CC to update my email address.

Yep...I used my white cake recipe and added instant espresso powder to the milk until I thought it was strong enough. Was so very yummy!

wernie Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernie

Quote:

Sorry so long in replying...still haven't been able to get CC to update my email address.

Yep...I used my white cake recipe and added instant espresso powder to the milk until I thought it was strong enough. Was so very yummy!

No worries - I ended up using my usual white cake recipe and replaced some of the milk with my coffee concentrate then frosted with vanilla....turned out excellent!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%