Getting The Metallic Gold Color On Fondant

Decorating By blueirus Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 2:02pm by Torimomma

blueirus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueirus Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing an Iron Man cake and am trying to find a way to get a good metallic gold for the face. I have a gold paint, but it is really hard to work with and doesn't cover very good. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. The cake is for this Friday.

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 9

airbrush with Metallic gold sheen.

blueirus Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:03am
post #3 of 9

I would love to airbrush it but unfortunately I don't have an airbrush. Next purchase for sure! Any other suggestions?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:05am
post #4 of 9

The only other answer is to mix a bit of everclear or vodka with metallic gold Lustre dust and paint it on...

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:08am
post #5 of 9

I made an Iron Man mask a couple of years ago for my nephew's birthday... the key is to start off with a mustard colored fondant. I painted it with gold luster dust and it looked great. Wish I had a pic to share but I didn't take one : (

blueirus Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:00am
post #6 of 9

thanks a bunch I will give it a try!

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:08am
post #7 of 9

You can just paint the airbrush paint on. You don't have to use an airbrush. I do ALOT of painting rather than coloring fondant.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:38am
post #8 of 9

i second the previous comment, if your going for a gold color, start with a yellow fondant first then paint. likewise if you were going to paint silver, start with a grey fondant. works for me!! hth

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 9

There is a Shadow cake in my folder that I made for my nephew and the arm and leg bands are gold. I used Wilton Golden Yellow with a touch of Leaf Green to get gold and then painted it with dry gold petal dust. I think Iron Man would require you mixing the dust with vodka first for good coverage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%