Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By experimenting Updated 16 Oct 2011 , 6:19pm by experimenting

experimenting Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 8

I've recently started working with modeling chocolate and have had a difficult time finding information on it. I made my own and found my white modeling chocolate to be much softer than my regular modeling chocolate. Can someone tell me if this is just the nature of white chocolate (softer) or if I need to add less light corn syrup when making it? Also, can anyone recommend a brand of premade modeling chocolate? There's so much information on fondant but very little on modeling chocolate! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you icon_smile.gif

7 replies
experimenting Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 8

Fondarific? Choco-pan? others?

sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry, I make my modeling chocolate with candy melts so it's always a little bit soft and I've never ordered the pre-made. It's too easy to make on my own and in the colors I need it.

cupadeecakes Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 8

I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I always use more chocolate OR less corn syrup when I make white chocolate modeling chocolate. And if I really need WHITE modeling chocolate I make it from the bright white candy melts. It works just the same.

Mike McCarey talks a lot about modeling chocolate in this Cakenology: Car Cakes DVD, and there's even recipes on the DVD you can print from your computer. If you can swing it financially, his modeling chocolate class is amazing! It literally changed the way I design my cakes! I am taking his "Big Bird" structure class this weekend and I am really looking forward to it!

jgifford Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 8

Modeling chocolate is always 10 ounces of candy melts/almond bark/baking chips (or whatever you're using) to 1/3 cup light corn syrup. You can adjust the amounts to suit yourself, but that's basic. I always use less corn syrup because I prefer the firmer stuff. I usually add coloring to the white because it doesn't matter what you use, it's not going to come out really white. Keep in mind that's it's always easier to color/flavor while you're making it than after. icon_smile.gif

experimenting Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for responding everyone! I made more white modeling chocolate last night and adjusted the light corn syrup and got the perfect consistency I wanted icon_smile.gif
cupadeecakes: I will definitely look into Mike McCarey - thanks!
jgifford: I've tried adding color to my white mod choc after I made it and only got mild colors. I added it to the chocolate after I melted it and before I added the light corn syrup this time and I got the colors I wanted to so much easier and quicker. Thanks!

experimenting Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 8

Has anyone here tried covering a cake in modeling chocolate? I've read that you can just like fondant, but haven't heard a lot about it. I know there's a DVD on wrapping a cake like a present with modeling chocolate, but can you cover/drape it like you can with fondant?

If so, any tips on doing it? And would you use anything different underneath (frosting)? Does the cake need to be more dense since the modeling chocolate is heavier than fondant?

Do you then leave it out and not refrigerate it? Airtight container or not? Is it more difficult to slice into?

experimenting Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 8

Ok, I made a purse cake out of modeling chocolate I made - I don't see an option to attach a picture to this post so I posted it on my profile. I covered the cake with the mod choc in panels because I thought it might be a great deal harder to cover it like I did the ruffle cake (MMF) in mod choc because of the odd shape, but please correct me if that assumption is wrong. Luckily, the design (my niece's zhu zhu purse) covered up this technique :/ I used a caramel buttercream and it stuck to it great, just like fondant. I decided not to refrigerate because I thought it would just get really hard. It also wasn't difficult to cut into at all, although I did make sure to have a warmed knife. After attempt #1, I'm loving modeling chocolate icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for the responses and advice! I will continue with the experiments icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%