Smbc Ahead Of Time? Need Answer By Tomorrow Pls :)

Decorating By SammieB Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm by littlestruedel

SammieB Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 3

Long story short, my daughter turns 1 Sunday and I had planned the latter part of this week to work on her cake in between getting the house ready and what I had planned to be a very busy weekend with our 5 yr anniversary Friday night, and 3 separate parties throughout the course of Saturday.

Now my very dear sweet hubby has informed me we are not in fact going out Friday, we are going out of town Wednesday on a surprise vacation, and won't be back until Saturday evening (gotta get back in time for our best friends gender reveal party). Which leaves Sunday morning for caking among various last minute activites.

Cakes are baked and frozen, royal icing transfers are being done today, I know I can make the ganache and filling and refrigerate them, but I had planned on doing SMBC for the first time on the top tier. So can I make it today or Tue and refrigerate it until then? Would freezing be better? Will it hold up to either, and will it even thaw in time to be useable? Or do I need to get up that morning and make it?

Also, can I use packaged egg whites? I made a vanilla bean cake and now I have literally a dozen frozen egg yolks I have done nothing with, and I hate to add even more to that stack. I bought the stuff for lemon curd, but that's a lot of curd. Actually, that brings me to a question I forgot to post before. Can I put lemon curd in a canning jar? Sterilized and canned of course. Or can it be frozen as well?

Ahhh! So much to do!

2 replies
donnella2045 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 3

you can make the smbc and refrigerate it for a week (i have done it longer and it held up fine). You can also freeze it without compromising it. Just make sure if you freeze it you move it to the refrigerator overnight. The SMBC needs to come to room temperature and then mixed on low speed before using it. Some people use the carton egg whites but I never had much luck with it. Have a great vacation!

littlestruedel Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 3

I make large batches of SMBC and refridgerate and freeze all the time. Just let it come to room temperature before whipping. If it is too cold when you whip it and seperates, just keep whipping, it will come back to life.

I only used packaged egg whites and have never had a problem. I just make sure that I wipe all of my tools and bowl with lemon juice before putting the egg whites in so that there is no trace of grease.

Quote by @%username% on %date%