The Difference Grease Proof Makes

Baking By sillywabbitz Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 9:26pm by fsinger84

sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 11

I took a chance and ordered some grease proof liners from Etsy for an upcoming order. Not being sure how true to color they would stay, I wanted to do a test run with the cupcakes. I tested several of the designs I purchased with some left over batter.

Attached is the results of white cake baked in the liners.

http://www.keeponcaking.com/?attachment_id=498
http://www.keeponcaking.com/?attachment_id=499

Next time I have some extra chocolate batter, I'll test those as well. I don't think they stripe liners will do as well with the chocolate batter but we'll see.

These run me double the cost of the plain liners but the difference is .03 per liner vs .08 per liner. I think they are worth it to add some pizazz to my boring white and brown liners.

I ordered from http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheBirthdayHouse?section_id=6600913 if anyone is interested.

I know Hobby Lobby is now carrying grease proof liners and I still love the Reynolds Stay Brite but they have a very limited pattern selection.

Anyone have any input on chocolate cupcakes and grease proof liners before my next trial run?

10 replies
SwtCanuck Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 11

Hi. I have tried these with my cupcakes (even chocolate and they are great). Sometimes I have to worry about a few of the wrappers pulling away but all in all they are good. I buy mine directly from the importer. Here is their link: http://www.vikingimporting.com/index.php
They work out to 2-3 cents each. Shipping is fast and cheap. I highly reccomend them!

sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 11

SwtCanuck,
Those prices are amazing! I have no idea what I would do with 1000 cupcake liners in each pattern but I may be able to do some kind of co-op with my local cake club and we call split the orders.
I am a very small (just starting out) home based business so the bulk numbers are hard for me.
It's been my struggle to date, storing the bulk items for a super cheap price break or sucking it up and paying more so I don't have to keep so much stock. Typical small busines dilema.

LacyHogan Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:24am
post #4 of 11

I have bought some from that website as well when i do jobs that require that many. I also tested some new liners from sweetsandtreatsboutique.com. The owner let some bakeries test her new designs and they actually are greaseproof and do not fade at all even with my chocolate chip cupcakes! I had a hard time finding greaseproof liners even though many companies say they are. I do a lot of custom colorful jobs and hate that my red velvet and chocolate chip fade the liners. icon_sad.gif Since you are a bakery, you should email her like i did to test them out. She posted a request for bakeries to test them on the company's facebook page i follow.

This company is moving to being an importer so I am on the waiting list for her stock when it arrives in a few weeks. It's about time I found some like this. I've looked forever!

In the meantime, i use the liners that have less white so they have less chance of fading like the solid ones or the dot ones you showed in your picture. Those stripe ones just have too much white in the liner to stay vibrant.

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:43am
post #5 of 11

SWTB,
Thank you so much for the link. Especially if her quality is even better. The stripes are tough. I'm pretty sure my friend is going to want chocolate cupcakes and the white and blue stripes. I'll do a test run and may use two liners per cupcake if that's the way she goes. And her bulk pricing you only have to buy 500 instead of 1000 <smirk>

thin4life Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:13am
post #6 of 11

I tried the grease proof liners with chocolate cupcakes and was very disappointed. I am convinced that you can only use dark liners or foil liners for chocolate cupcakes.

LacyHogan Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:28am
post #7 of 11

No problem! I did a job this week where i put the lighter cup in the pan first then a solid white on top then put the batter. The white soaked up the grease so the lighter cup stayed bright. At least this is a good compromise for the ones you currently have. Also, it's hard to double up a pattern and it match exactly, that's why i do the white liner in the pattern liner. Anyway, it works for me!! Good luck!!

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:42am
post #8 of 11

Thanks SWTB for that tip too. I don't like the look of baked cupcake set in a new liner but if I place them all in the pan together it should do better with the shape. I really appreciate it and look forward to trying out those new liners. I love the foil liners but so limited.

Bridgette1129 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:56am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I took a chance and ordered some grease proof liners from Etsy for an upcoming order.

I just ordered some greaseproof liners off Etsy from "HeyYoYo". They are labeled greaseproof and I am trying them with an order of vanilla in the beginning of November!

Sorry I haven't tried them with chocolate but I'm tempted to!

Bridgette1129 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:06am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwtCanuck

Hi. I have tried these with my cupcakes (even chocolate and they are great). Sometimes I have to worry about a few of the wrappers pulling away but all in all they are good. I buy mine directly from the importer. Here is their link: http://www.vikingimporting.com/index.php
They work out to 2-3 cents each. Shipping is fast and cheap. I highly reccomend them!

You just made my life by giving me that link. I have searched for this and have not found it. SO much cheaper than etsy. $20 is do-able for 1,000 cupcake liners. Saves so much money, I don't care that I have to store them!

fsinger84 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 11

Depending on what ones you want novacart may be a better price. Viking is 27.20 on the color swirl liners but novacart is 22.20. But novacart is currently out of red and it looks like viking doesnt have orange UGH LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%