Color Flow Help

Decorating By April6617 Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm by April6617

April6617 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 8

I made a color flow design on Saturday and it looke beautiful. Yesterday it was looking nice as well. I checked on it today and now the black outline has seeped into some of my colors. The black was dry to the touch when I started the color flow icing in the other colors and it looked okay yesterday. It has now been 48 hours and it is unusable due to the black outline now bleeding into the other colors. What did I do wrong? I can try a FBCT but I have never doen that either and I am afraid the same thing would happen with the black outline. Any suggestions?

7 replies
letsgetcaking Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 8

I had the same thing happen before. Even if the black outline is dry, you can have that problem if the fill-in flow icing is too thin (too wet). The new icing will rehydrate the black outline.

When do you need the transfer? If you redo it, make sure the outline is completely dry again. Then, for the color flow, make it as thick as possible while still being able to spread it and allow it to flow.

I can't help you with the frozen buttercream, but I'm sure someone else can. Good luck!

April6617 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 8

I need it for Sunday, but I was going to make the cake and have it ready for someone to pick up Saturday evening. Should I make the outline and let it dry for 24 hours before trying to add the other colors?

Thank you for your help, I am trying to not stress. I am self teaching myself. And it was so pretty I thought it might be too good to be true lol.

cakegrandma Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 8

The black has to be really dry and like letsgetcaking says, the black needs to be thick, almost a medium consistency. It needs to be thick enough to outline easily but not so thick you can not easily outline with it. After you get your outlining done, stick it in the oven with the light on and let it dry for 24 hours. Be sure to put a not on the oven controls so it doesn't get turned on accidentally, don't ask. ;0)
evelyn

April6617 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much! I will try again. icon_smile.gif

April6617 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 8

I think I am making this more difficult than it has to be. 2 more tries last night and I think the icing was just way too dry. This morning my image was cracking and lifting off the wax paper. Huff

letsgetcaking Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 8

I'm sorry you're having trouble. It's hard to find the balance between not too wet, yet still wet enough to flow just right.

I always use plastic wrap instead of wax paper. That's just how I learned to do it. Here's a link to the tutorial I learned from, if you want to try that way.

Good luck!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=648450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

(scroll down a little and you will see the photo tutorial)

April6617 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%