Cake Mix For Birthday Cake

Decorating By MonkeysMom88 Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 2:17am by MonkeysMom88

MonkeysMom88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MonkeysMom88 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:31am
post #1 of 5

Has anyone used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Devil's Food cake mix for a two-tiered cake? I've never baked a cake before so I'm a little nervous, but I've been researching about how to do everything (fondant, dowels, etc) just need some insight on the cake mix icon_smile.gif Do you buy buttercream icing that you put between the cakes to give the tiers height? I always see frosting in the store, but don't remember seeing buttercream.

4 replies
DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:49am
post #2 of 5

I have used Pillsbury devils food cake mix for a two tiered cake. I torted and filled the layers with a marshmallow filling... I think I used "Grama's Cupcake Filling." I hot the recipe her on CC. Then iced the whole thing with buttercream. I always make my own.

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:50am
post #3 of 5

I use Pillsbury all the time and it's great. I don't like store bought buttercream so make my own consisting of powdered sugar, crisco, butter flavoring, almond and clear vanilla flavorings and canned milk. I can't give you measurements because I just dump in a mixing bowl.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:51am
post #4 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, MonkeysMom88. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble stacked/tiered/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

Above super thread should answer most/all of your questions. Also included are popular CC recipes for several types of American buttercream, doctored cake mixes (WASC and flavor variations) and fondant.

HTH

MonkeysMom88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MonkeysMom88 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:17am
post #5 of 5

Thanks this was such a good help. I was actually going to experiment on marshmallow filling so glad someone has tried it. I was looking at buttercream recipes on this site too, not sure if I want to buy that. Thanks for all the help thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%