Cake Mix For Birthday Cake

Decorating By MonkeysMom88 Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 2:17am by MonkeysMom88

MonkeysMom88 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:31am
post #1 of 5

Has anyone used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Devil's Food cake mix for a two-tiered cake? I've never baked a cake before so I'm a little nervous, but I've been researching about how to do everything (fondant, dowels, etc) just need some insight on the cake mix icon_smile.gif Do you buy buttercream icing that you put between the cakes to give the tiers height? I always see frosting in the store, but don't remember seeing buttercream.

4 replies
DSmo Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:49am
post #2 of 5

I have used Pillsbury devils food cake mix for a two tiered cake. I torted and filled the layers with a marshmallow filling... I think I used "Grama's Cupcake Filling." I hot the recipe her on CC. Then iced the whole thing with buttercream. I always make my own.

cakemaker61 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:50am
post #3 of 5

I use Pillsbury all the time and it's great. I don't like store bought buttercream so make my own consisting of powdered sugar, crisco, butter flavoring, almond and clear vanilla flavorings and canned milk. I can't give you measurements because I just dump in a mixing bowl.

JanH Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:51am
post #4 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, MonkeysMom88. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble stacked/tiered/layer cakes:

Above super thread should answer most/all of your questions. Also included are popular CC recipes for several types of American buttercream, doctored cake mixes (WASC and flavor variations) and fondant.

MonkeysMom88 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:17am
post #5 of 5

Thanks this was such a good help. I was actually going to experiment on marshmallow filling so glad someone has tried it. I was looking at buttercream recipes on this site too, not sure if I want to buy that. Thanks for all the help thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%