Newbie Question About Mmf-Please Reply

Decorating By lagniappecakes Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 11:59pm by lagniappecakes

lagniappecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lagniappecakes Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 4

I made my very 1st cake weekend and it turned out pretty good for a 1st try. I have questions about MMF. After I crumb coated the cake I put it in the freezer. Was that what I was suppose to do? Then when I put the MF I sprayed the cake with a little water. Applying the MMF was ok and it looked ok. Then I was confused if I should put it back in the freezer? So I did (this was the night before the party). I took it out a few hours prior to the party and then I started to panic b/c it started to look like it was "sweating" (I guess it was from it thawing). I put it back in the refridgerator and left it til the party. It was really yummy, but the fondant was chewy. I am ashamed to admit, I have never had fondant at all! I just made this cake b/c my daughter wanted one. It was really fun to make and I want to do one for my SIL next weekend. I am just concerened ifI did the right steps, and if this is how it is suppose to come out. TIA

3 replies
lagniappecakes Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 4

Here is a pic

keetinleeson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keetinleeson Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 4

You dont need to put the cake in the freezer before putting the fondant on and you definitely dont put the cake covered in fondant in the freezer. It will sweat and become chewy once it "defrosts". Your cake is fine and sealed once you put the fondant on and your fondant will set up nicely over night on the cake. I love MMF and that is all I have used. I make a variety of flavors. Many people will say they have had no problem freezing fondant or even refridgerating it but it does sweat and can make your decorations saggy or soft. Trial and error icon_smile.gif I didnt see a pic but am interested in seeing how it turned out despite the sweat..lol. I am sure it looked great thumbs_up.gif

lagniappecakes Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for the reply! I was thinking that was my error. I had somuc fun making this cake and all the kids raved about it! I thought I put the pic on, but I guess I did that wrong also...let me see

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%