Why Does My Cake Pull From The Sides Of The Pan?

Baking By elisaber Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 11:47pm by scp1127

elisaber Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 12

After testing a zillion recipes for the best chocolate cake, the best vanilla cake, the best sponge etc, I finally found my perfect recipe for a not-too-dense vanilla cake. It is DELICIOUS, moist and velvety and I'm thrilled to finally have found it. But my problem is - after it's out of the oven, it instantly shrinks at the sides and pulls away from the pan all the way around (and a bit on the height, too) - making the size considerably smaller than it's supposed to be. Is there any particular reason this would happen? I have very rarely had this happen to any other cake - and it is so frustrating to have this happen only to my "perfect" recipe. icon_cry.gif Anyone had this happen, and figured out why it happens?

11 replies
Torimomma Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 12

It shrinks because it is cooling. Don't know if there is a fix for it.

cakestyles Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 12

You could try taking it out of the oven a couple of minutes sooner.

Which recipe are you using?

elisaber Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:37am
post #4 of 12

I don't have the recipe with me right now, but I would definitely not be taking the cake out any earlier - it' would not be done. And I realize that cake some times lets go of the pan when it cools, but on no other cake have I seen it to this extent - my 10" is a 9" after this.

I really hope someone has had this happen and figured out why! Thank you in advance for all tips and hints.

scp1127 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 7:09am
post #5 of 12

Some recipes just shrink more than others. If you like the recipe, just use a larger pan.

myslady Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 8:31am
post #6 of 12

it may be because of the brand of pans are you using, that you are greasing the sides of the pan or a combination of the 2.

myslady Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 8:32am
post #7 of 12

it may be because of the brand of pans are you using, that you are greasing the sides of the pan or a combination of the 2.

elisaber Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 8:39am
post #8 of 12

I suppose it could theoretically be the brand of pans, but I use Magic Line on this and all other cakes, and this one is the only one it happens to.

As for greasing, I do grease the sides - perhaps that's what I should stop doing? I will be sure to try it, thank you for the idea icon_smile.gif

Serena4016 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 10:57am
post #9 of 12

It's cake, that's why? Mine always do too. I have just assumed it's the nature of cakes. Maybe we will find some answers here.

elisaber Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 11:06am
post #10 of 12

I know it's cake and that it can happen - my puzzle was just that it only happens with this one specific recipe. I mean, they all let go of the pans a little, but this is super-shrinkage. But I guess I'll just try and grease a little less and chalk it up to c'est la vie icon_smile.gif

Panel7124 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 12

I usually put a small bowl with a bit of hot water in the oven (electric) when baking 1 inch high cake layers as sometimes I find the sides start to become dry even on low temperature and retain from the pan more. It did not solve the problem completely, but helped a little bit.

scp1127 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 12

It's just the nature of some recipes, their ingredients and the method. If you like the cake, just work around the shrinkage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%