Use Color/luster Dust?

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 6:08am by happyascanbee

bluedaisies Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:03am
post #1 of 6

I can't seem to quite figure out the trick to using color/luster dust. For example, if I want to paint it onto white fondant to get that pretty gold or bronze look, how do I do that?

TIA!

5 replies
luckylibra Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

I mix luster dust with a little vodka to paint but I think it has to be luster dust to get the right look. The pearl dust I think has to be brushed on dry to get color.

heartsnsync Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 4:35am
post #3 of 6

You can also mix the luster dust with any alcohol based clear extract (I often use vanilla). You will get the best results by having the fondant be a base shade of what color you are wanting to achieve. For instance, for silver you would color your fondant light gray. If you are applying to white fondant then it takes several coats. For large areas the only way to effectively do the whole area and not have any streaking is with airbrushing it.

donnagalea Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 5:05am
post #4 of 6

The fondant should be a similar in shade to the luster dust if you're going for silver or gold. For silver mix a grey fondant. For gold, mix a dirty yellow/tan. Like what was said earlier brush the object (away from the cake) with a light layer of vodka. Then take a dry brush, dip it in a small mound of luster dust, then speckle the fondant lightly.

kakeladi Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 5:46am
post #5 of 6

........Like what was said earlier brush the object (away from the cake) with a light layer of vodka. Then take a dry brush, dip it in a small mound of luster dust, then speckle the fondant lightly.......

Please explain this statement.
I have never sprayed the fondant then speckled w/dust.
Always mix the dust w/vodka until it is consistency of thin mud (not too thin or it will streak), then painted that onto fondant. If it streaks, let the mixture sit for a minute or two = the vodka will start to evaporate = causing the mixture to become thicker, then paint.

happyascanbee Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 6:08am
post #6 of 6

If you are painting a big area like an entire cake, air brush is more efficient and would cover evenly..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%