Wilton Cake Boards

Decorating By Cupcakeboy85 Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 2:10am by BlakesCakes

Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:41am
post #1 of 4

I will be baking a two layer 9x13 this week and want to if the silver wilton cake board drums is any good and can it fit in 10x14x4 cake box?

This is my first time baking in this size

3 replies
Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:05am
post #2 of 4

The way I see it, you've got bigger problems than the board fitting in the box....

A 9x13 cake on a 10x14 board is only going to give you 1/2" around the entire perimeter. Once you add your border edge there won't be any room at all.

A 10x14 board will fit in your box, but the height won't be enough. If you bake 2" layers (=4" cake) you'll need filling + icing on the cake + any decorations. You won't be able to close the lid on this box.

Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:09am
post #3 of 4

So what cake box and cake board will best fit this?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:10am
post #4 of 4

Well, I'm not sure that Wilton makes the silver covered 1/2 inch cake drums in rectangles anymore........

They do make some thin silver cardboard cake "platters". I personally wouldn't put a 2 layer cake on one and expect it not to flex/bend.

I also feel that only an inch around the perimeter is not enough. By the time you add icing and a border, you may have only a 1/2 inch of clearance.

I cut my own boards from 1/2 inch foamcore and cover with the Wilton silver foil and for a 9x13, my board would be 11x15--at least--depending on decoration.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%